the .moon's. quiet. daughter


h.o.m.e ............s.a.r.a.h...e.l.w.e.l.l ............ e.l.s.e.w.h.e.r.e .............s.e.e.d.s...&...s.t.a.r.s ............d r e a m i n g...t.a.l.e.s





July 7, 2017

the diminishment of blogging



There's a sorrow that's very fragile, almost more bewilderment than sadness, which comes when you watch something you love slowly fading. You keep thinking it's just you ...You keep thinking you can do something about it.

But I don't know if I can. Every week my feed reader gets slighter. I used to haven dozens of weblogs I read, now there are only about five, six, which post regularly. I'm sure the homeschooling mothers are all still sharing away merrily. The shabby chic housekeepers are no doubt a thriving community. And the superstar bloggers, who started out with one computer in their kitchen and turned their lives into magazines, bestsellers, still have thousands of readers, book deals, sponsors.

But where are the dreamers? The quiet writers, making poetry out of dirty dishes and evening fields? The mothers of grown-up children, reacquainting themselves with old mythic silence?

I see a lot of them on twitter. Actually, I spend most of my social media time these days on twitter, which is where I find poems and flowers and news and insightful comments. Instagram is a second best, Facebook is merely where I leave my links. And yet I know I am behind the times. They say twitter is fading too. No doubt the next great thing is just around the corner.

It's my problem, I'm sure. I don't know how to do social media right, never have. Because all this connection, it's about what you sell. People spend their time like riches, and they want something in return. I have only quiet to offer, and a few unofficial words.

I don't exactly miss weblogs. I have come to love tiny poems amongst politics, and galleries of seemingly perfected lives. I miss friendships. I miss the certainty of an online community - something deeper than avatars and likes. I think I have been too touched by Station Eleven, and see melancholy all around me.


art by William Morris


 

11 comments:

  1. How your words echo my own heart. I miss the bloggers I used to read. The slice of life. The moments of grace and beauty. Many have gone to Instagram, but I miss the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should say this today - I meant to finally get back to writing yesterday but my batteries ran flat at 2 pm and my brain fuzzy. I still find blogs to be the most satisfying social media over the other options. IG is so much more work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think some people prefer quicker.
    Also, I had something weird happen to my blog readership. Actually I've had it happen two other times, and this time, I don't want to try to figure out where it went, so I am posting even less. But I just do home, because it is hard to share your heart these days. Also, I am stuck in this heat for a few more days. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand your feelings. But you are read, I read you every time you post. I am terrible at commenting, words just don't come easy to me.. tongue tied, if you will.
    I live in a wooded region, far from town. I've kinda retreated, keeping much to myself. I love the quiet of photography, and post some of my images.. which I know few see. But that's okay.
    I feel a kinship with you and your beautiful words, which I hope to never lose. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are definitely not alone... I was only bewailing to a fellow-blogger who shares inspiring links on a Friday that so many blogs are FULL of flashing adverts which totally distract from any wise words that may be on the page... And I just can't get on with twiiter, instagram and Facebook - it's all too much!
    I seek out white space, quiet blogs like yours. Thankfully there are still a few :) Like this one - I love Shawna's writing http://transactionswithbeauty.com/home/stillandsilent

    ReplyDelete
  6. btw - this phrase is achingly beautiful! You are indeed a poet, my dear:'The quiet writers, making poetry out of dirty dishes and evening fields?'
    wow!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, a lot of blogs I read have simply gone away, and it's sad .... i miss the days of simple daily sharing the vorners of our worlds .... I don't do FB or twitter .... there are a handful of IGs i check daily however, as that is where poeple seem to post. It isn't the same. But better than them being gone completely I guess. I too very much miss the sense of having a genuine friendship withing the online community of blogs. That was a very special time ... {{hugs}}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Corners of the world, that should say! And what I mean is ... The Group-Friendship -- community-wide. It's really different now ...

      Delete
  8. I miss...so much, including you...in the ways we used to find ourselves together. I feel like I've been puzzling over this for years now, with no better understanding, of how I feel about blogging or about reading blogs or much of anything online. Dreaming with words is what blogging brought to me all those years ago, me who isn't really a writer in the usual ways of being one. But "just" writing of dirty dishes and evening fields (I agree with Claire, such evocative words...) doesn't often bring people to one's offerings or so I found, which sets up a struggle, and so one goes quiet. Or at least, I do. I feel almost continually confused by the online world and the real one. Perhaps that is something of what's going on?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have quite a way with words, which is neat. I don't know if there is a wrong or right way to be on Social Media. I think the importance is to have fun, learn new things and to meet new friends, even if only for a moment. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your comments. On this post in particular I should respond to each of you, but I've had family visiting and now am quite spoonless :-) Which is a way of saying exhausted, if you are lucky enough to not know the parlance of chronic illness. I have read each comment though and appreciated them all more than I can say.

    ReplyDelete