the .moon's. quiet. daughter


s.a.r.a.h...e.l.w.e.l.l ............ e.l.s.e.w.h.e.r.e .............s.e.e.d.s...&...s.t.a.r.s ............d r e a m i n g...t.a.l.e.s





June 20, 2017

the difference blogging makes



A Mexican girl sits knitting
as the night spreads out in dreams,
and old women dream of Autumn winds.

She knits time to space,
warmth to cold, love to
alone, strength to innocence.

She knits moons to their orbits,
needles clicking with the certainty of stars,
webbing the known and unknown.

She knits sweet shadows
that breathe a calm to longing,
and drink the emerald waning of the moon.

Her darkness rounds the world with sleep,
past crouching walls of fearful lands,
with the graceful wave of parting lovers.


- Sean Lause


I was saddened this morning to read of the passing of Lin from A {tiny} Cottage In the Woods. She was such a treasure, and the sorrow her loss leaves behind for all of us who knew her only through her words and photographs proves that blogging is as valuable part of "real life" as the connections we make with friends face to face.

I want you to know, dear reader, that your comments, messages, thoughts and letters truly touch my heart. I've made real friends through blogging - some of whom I've known for more than a dozen years now. I've been consoled in times of sorrow, strengthened in times of struggle, and made to laugh more often than I can recall. I've been inspired by all kinds of remarkable creativity in so many women, and learned to appreciate my own creative voice for its small and quiet song, not just an echo of others whom I admire.

There are so many names I could list. Names as a prayer of womanly magic. Names that arise, star-like, from the far-flung lands - from Australia and America and England and India, and so many other places inbetween. When I watch the news from different cities, I think of bloggers and photographers I know from there, and hope they are well. When I have moments of shadow, self-doubt, I bring out the names and say them to myself. If you ever wonder whether you make a difference, well, you do. You make a difference to me. Thank you.



Having said that, I must now sincerely apologise for not visiting your own web spaces more often lately. Life within this little house by the sea has been busy - although quite often the kind of busy that involves sitting infront of a computer screen for hours on end. I do read your posts and admire your instagram feeds, but don't always have time to leave a comment. 


Art by Anastasia Zhdann

6 comments:

  1. it makes a great deal of difference to me, too. and thank you for your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having felt a little doubtful about my own contributions to the blogosphere lately, I needed to hear this. Thank you, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so sad to hear about Lin. She walked in beauty.
    Beautiful tribute. xoxo Su

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are treasured too ~

    The art and poem, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to read this, and for you to say it. I feel this way, too, and get mired in the not-expressing-it especially when my blog reading and blogging has slipped. "Womanly magic"...you are such a weaver of this! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dropped by to wish you a happy Solstice, and I find this Beauty... Thank you for the image, the poem and your words **hugs across the ether**

    ReplyDelete