dream garden

The first bird-bell this morning, calling out the morning, was a salt-freckled cry from a seagull. No wonder then the dawn seemed like smoke, grey and ember-coloured, and with the cold stillness special to autumn. But now all is gold, and the dew on my rosemary bush glints like a hundred bee dreams.

My little garden is recovering slowly from summer. I have begun thinking of what overwinter flowers I might add to it, which has led as garden wonderings often do to envisioning my ideal collection. I would have to begin by planting a small tree, perhaps jasmine or plum, on the front lawn, which makes the whole thing immediately an impossibility. My landlady would never approve. But oh, if I had my way ...

....................beneath the tree would be a ring of tiny flowers - white clover, violets, little daisies, and forget-me-nots ... then, in the beds fronting the cottage, a jumble of prettiness - alyssum, white gerbera, chamomile, sweet pea, softly coloured ranunculus, lavender both pink and purple, delphinum, pale stock, a little delicate fern, freesia, more forget-me-knot ... and quietly pink or white roses climbing over the house.

Of course, this would only exist for the few weeks of late spring, early summer, before the sea-spangled sun overcame it. But such weeks!

Do you have a dream vision for your garden?




5 comments:

  1. my vision for my garden remains, alas, a vision. my yard is a Zone of Death to most things...shade, and unceasing tannin-fall render my visions largely unattainable. i have had beautiful gardens at previous homes. here, a rose is a precious thing; a hollyhock, rare as a diamond in my soil. things bloom once, and never return, or linger in ever decreasing vitality for a while, or are consumed by moles or deer, or simply vanish...but in my dreams, there are frothy borders of blooms, and vigorous expanses of vegetables, and twining blossoms nodding on vines, and the roses---the roses! i do have moss, and a quite nice japanese maple. my dream garden will have to wait for another home, another yard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my dream will also have to remain just that as my garden at the moment has poor soil (having been ruined by years of succulents) and far too much sun. One of these days I hope to have a space to really go wild (and I mean really :-))

      Delete
  2. I love your garden dreams and your writing voice. I like to come here and listen to things like the 'salt-freckled cry of a seagull'.

    I have a small flower garden (more of a border, really) with roses and lilies, bee balm, cone flowers, butterfly bush, lupine, salvia, and poppies. It's quite crowded and messy, and I can't resist adding to the chaos each spring. I planted some pink alstroemeria last year and I hope it will come back, but I think it is too cold here. I do love hollyhocks, but they grow too large for my small flower bed. Maybe I could plant them along the side of the house. They only bloom every other year, so I would have to put some in this year and then some more next year to keep the blooms coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :-)

      Your garden sounds beautiful! I am envious :-) I love hollyhocks too.

      Delete
  3. Ooh garden dreams. This makes me think of California, and the jasmine drooping over fences. I would bury my face in them as I was walking by. And I wish I had a garden...maybe one day, in that house of my own that I dream of, that I'm not sure how could happen. But I have a lovely friend who invited me to a hill outside her house to dream of what flowers we might plant there together. And herbs.

    ReplyDelete