a small harvest



I want to say to all my friends in America that although the situation is bleak, we out here see you standing up for love, tolerance, and welcome. You look beautiful. In that same spirit, I am sharing today some beauty which I gathered from the virtual hedgerows ...



My grandpa has Alzheimer’s so he has no idea who my grandma is but everyday for the last three or four months he brings her in flowers from their garden and asks her to run away with him and be his wife and everyday she says she already is and everyday the smile my grandpa gets on his face is the most beautiful heartfelt thing I have ever seen. - hula-hope

In an age of speed, I began to think, nothing could be more invigorating that going slow. In an age of distraction, nothing can feel more luxurious than paying attention. And in an age of constant movement, nothing is more urgent than sitting still. - Pico Lyer




Lately I've been replacing my "I'm sorry"s with "thank you"s, like instead of "sorry I'm late," I'll say, "thanks for waiting for me," or instead of, "sorry for being such a mess," I'll say, "thank you for loving me and caring for me unconditionally," and it's not only shifted the way I think and feel about myself but also improved my relationships with others who now get to receive my gratitude instead of my negativity. - vijara, found unlinked on pinterest, possibly from tumblr




Could it be that we are meant? Troubled people born to a troubled time, yes, but chosen by trouble as its balm. Chosen not for affliction but for anointing.- Stephen Jenkinson

How to make cashmere heart hand warmers - the Magic Onions 

And we can be our own alchemists, transforming the everyday bric-a-brac of our lives into something less recognisable, perhaps more other-worldy, but still true. To me, a life is never dull. But when we create a story out of it all, it can be easier to see our own magic, and a beauty we can pass over too easily in the throes of living. The poetry that’s nestled inside our lives. - Antoinette


Tonight is Lammas or Lughnasadh in my part of the world, the first harvest festival, a time of thanksgiving. I have never celebrated it much for we're still in the smoulder of midsummer and it feels as though it has little real meaning to us. But it is a day to contemplate all we have been given, celebrate the generosity of the earth, and commit to maintaining our care of it although that will require sacrifice.This is certainly a good time to bring those things to mind.


Art by Judith Clay


5 comments:

  1. i'm preparing for imbolc, of course, which is a very still and meditative observance for me....both unusually difficult and extremely welcome just now. wishing you a good lammas-tide despite the heat.

    your kind words and cheering images and links are very welcome today. it has been hard to be american lately.

    hopefully what stories come from our days will be alchemical in fact as well as in fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful - and also comforting, right now.
    I adore Stephen Jenkinson. His words made me think of the myth of Chiron, the wounded healer. And I'm trying to say "thankyou" instead of "sorry". It really does shift things, doesn't it?

    Thankyou for including my words among them. I am humbled.

    Wishing you many beautiful stories, and a blessed lammas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the story of the husband who brings flowers to his wife daily.


    thank you for these thoughts and wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete