going wordless into the year

I have not chosen a word to guide me through the year ahead. I have not made resolutions. I want to go quietly, simply, letting the year, day, moments, give me their own names if they wish. This moment now is old gold. The sun lies heavy and tired on my neighbour's roof. It flutters in the wind-shivered leaves of my lovely old poplar tree, the last of the poplars around here, the one we look for every morning incase it too is taken away. This moment, it is solemn, sacred, and loving. I would not be able to think of any word that might preside over both it and the next moment, the aftergold moment, here now. All that luscious light disappeared in the blink of an eye. The roof is dulled. The leaves are more bronze than gold. The sun slips so fast away; I imagine the hills gathering it in. The dear old, dark hills - I can almost hear their voices of stone and hidden waters, singing bonds of sleep, of peace, around the bright and weary king. I sense his contentment in the warm, brown embrace of the earth. And I know I can indeed resolve nothing, for what I want is the opposite, to dissolve - my dreams, my awareness, shedding from me, entering hill pores, and sun murmurs, mingling with the beloved world.

15 comments:

  1. Such lovely words. They make me sigh. I pray that tree gets to stand there forever. And I too haven't made any resolutions. Just quiet prayers in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nothing could be better than what you describe..."mingling with the beloved world", yes.

    i wonder how many opportunities for that kind of blissful merging are missed due to our foolish human minds thinking that we are separate from the rest of creation, or due to our enormous propensities for distraction?

    i have a word, i think; which is funny, because in prior times when i was giving that whole "find your word" thing a try, i never seemed to get there...but this word came to me in meditation last month, when i wasn't seeking a word at all. hmmm...i have two animals to look to as well. both birds, oddly. but you are right to say that no single word could express the ever-changing beauties of the world. our souls meet them and feel them, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to be distracted - and honestly I think sometimes that's good. Otherwise we would become overwhelmed with beauty and meaning.

      Delete
  3. "the aftergold moment" -- ah, lovely. Your writing makes me ache with longing in such a good way. I think I've become Rainbow Valley Anne, all absorbed in the antics of her merry six, but you are Avonlea Anne gathering starflowers and discovering hidden gardens in the woods. (I'd say we both have more than a little House o' Dreams Anne in us.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a lovely comment :-) I used to be Rainbow Valley Anne, and that was the best, but my one has grown up so much, and is often busy with her own things. I wish Anne had not lost her starry-eyed dreaming as she grew older. I understand why - war and Maud's own experiences of depression and a busy life - but it seemed such a shame to me.

      I will always have the House of Dreams in my heart.

      Delete
  4. A really gracious thing to not heap expectations on a year, or confine it within a frame of certain words - and to listen.
    I don't comment much but I always enjoy the beauty of your posts and your wonderful descriptions. I hope that that poplar stays standing strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you mo. commenting is not so easy these days, i dont do it much either. i appreciate your kind words <3

      Delete
  5. "The sun slips so fast away; I imagine the hills gathering it in. The dear old, dark hills - I can almost hear their voices of stone and hidden waters, singing bonds of sleep, of peace, around the bright and weary king."

    Oh, this whole post... so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is power in your words, and beauty, magic, that rare talent of being able to find words for the things you want to express. Not just any old cliche words, but your own that bring to life something new. I long for that ability. I've been afraid to read or comment on your blog because of that power, but perhaps it is a little silly :) Thank you for the beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way - I wrote this as a reply to your comment on my blog but in case you will not see it - thank you from my heart for linking to my blog from your page once upon a time. It was a long time ago and I think I never thanked you or acknowledged you for it :( It was very very nice as I don't have a lot of readers or views, to have you mention my page! Thank you!

      Delete