and so in the darkness we fight on

The old world is dying. We thought it was finished when we overthrew segregation, welcomed women into the workforce, passed laws for marriage equality, came together to save the climate. But some things take a long time to die. Especially the enormous, red-eyed, sharp-toothed Beast who was the apex predator for so long. They don't go without a fight.

Now is the hour for absolute courage. We are exhausted, we have battled the beast for so long - for all our lives, some of us. We may feel despair. But remember - we are winning. All over the world, lights are shining, forests are being replanted, we are winning. In some places, though, the beast had its claws dug in deep. And so the fight must go on. Have courage, have courage, be strong!

Those of you in the darkness, don't feel bereft. And don't feel embarrassed by what the election results showed of your culture. Everyone else already saw long ago your wonderful brilliance and  your awful shadow. (We have one too.) But look out at the world - we are holding up a light of sympathy, love, hope, for you.





But first, a moment for weeping. And for despair. It's important. It gives perspective to the danger. And the danger is real, deep, spiked with tooth and nail. The most powerful country in the world is going to be led by a mentally deranged abuser who lies to a pathological degree, and he is going to be supported by an unchecked government of radicals, misogynists, and climate change deniers who are in the pocket of fossil fuel companies.

I don't know how much choice we have in preventing the disasters sure to come. All the protesting in the world won't matter when you have no leverage. But I wrote the other day about an army of the kind. I believe now that is what we must become. And I mean all of us, all over the world. Our economies, our safety, our hopes, are threatened by America's vote. But the tragic election result has at least handed us a challenge, an opportunity, to walk our talk. To help the poor. To stand up for the minority. To plant and protect whatever bits of the natural world we can get our hands on. To understand that our native ground is ALL the world, not just one Rock, one river.

They say this was a vote for change. They're wrong. This was a vote for keeping things the same - keeping the beast alive, the old world from dying in the light. We must all be real change. Winning comes not from electing a leader, but from growing a tree, healing a heart, taking a hand, making your space safer and better for all who enter it. 




13 comments:

  1. thank you for this. many of us didn't sleep last night, or awoke to a world which felt like someone had died. and we are grieving...

    but even in grief, there is a sense of reaching out to each other, and offering whatever protection we can provide to each other.

    it truly helps to know that we are not alone, and not abandoned to our fate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my dear, for your eloquence. This is exactly exactly what my teens and I have been saying all day as we process this shocking and grievous news. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grateful...for your words, the photograph, everything. I've been coming to the same conclusion all day and am so glad I had the lately-rare impulse to visit my friends' online homes as the sun sets on this day-after. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have been in shock and grief too. But it has given me so much heart to see how people all over the world are reaching out to each other, comforting each other, in this awful time. It proves to me that love is not dead, and that it will grow even stronger.



    ReplyDelete
  5. Love will never die, nor will hope. I voted, with pride, for Hillary. I was shocked and devastated when she didn't win. But I, the ever optimist, believes in that hope and that love. All is never lost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admire your optomism. I struggle with it myself.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful words, Sarah.

    It really has been shock and grief. For so many of us around the world. I cried buckets today. A rare thing for me. And then I brushed myself off, and reminded myself what's really important to focus upon: healing, and love, and beauty, (and the land we walk upon)...remembering that we're all in this together and we choose these fierce and gentle truths over hatred and lies.
    Love and light xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cried too, which surprised me. I am so very worried for the climate. And that such hatred still dwells strongly in the community. But I read a beautiful commentary at the instagram of one willow apothecary saying more or less the same as me, but more wisely and from such a lovely perspective - that this is a healing crisis.

      Its hard though when I remember what life and people are like in parts of the world we seldom look at - Africa, south-east Asia, the war-torn Middle East, etc. It feels like a privilege to speak of love and beauty.

      Delete
  7. Bless you for this Sarah. You have a way of writing that makes even this feel like a timeless story and gives me hope. Yes to the "army of kind."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything is a story. When we see things mythically, it helps so much. I urge everyone to read Sharon Blackie's article on the Trickster. (Google her name to find her site - its too early in the morning for links, lol.)

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your words, they are a balm to my heart. Because yes, I am aghast and heart broken and embarrassed at what my country has done! How could we go from such a loving, brilliant black man to one who is filled with such hate for those who do not look like him?

    To all those from other parts of the world, thank you for your love and support...we need it so very much.

    We will get through these few days of grief and shock and then we will get back to work for however long it takes to slay this beast once and for all.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand it either, considering how popular the Obamas have seemed to be.

      This grief is so important, take your time with it. I also love that people have been protesting! I know the main theme in my circles online has been "peace, love, family," but I'm an old hippy and I would be marching the streets if I could.

      Delete
  9. Thank you so much Sarah for your consoling thoughts and words. Needed even more now than ever they were.

    ReplyDelete