heartlands

Today is my birthday, and as I walked barefoot through a storm, I thought a lot about my life, as tends to happen on birthdays. I realised that, although I may not necessarily love where I am at the moment, I do love the choices which brought me here. I would not change those choices (although I'd plant more trees in my garden if that was possible.)




I also had to acknowledge that there are some choices I've made which haven't been real. They've been reactions, rather than authentic decisions. For example, I've worn certain clothes because they present an image of the kind of woman I admire - which isn't actually the kind of woman I am or even want to be. I'm old enough now to simply want to be myself, whatever that means.

Knitting the Wind has been for years now a reaction to audience opinion, common sense, brand imperatives, and tangled thoughts. I've long wanted something quieter for my online diary. Today, for my birthday, I'm giving myself what I want.




Between the woods and the watersIt actually describes my prosaic reality as well as the secret poem in my heart. It's a woman in a cardigan and white cotton blouse, chiffon skirt, hugging a book of stories and waiting for the storm. I did consider more melodic titles, titles which I'd personlaly like to click on if I found them in someone else's blogroll, but there's a spirit to this one that feels right for the moment.

I have redirected the url of this weblog to the new one, but I don't know if that works with feed readers or not. So if you are coming over from bloglovin or feedly, you may like to update your links.

I can guarantee everything will change again. That's fine by me, so long as its my true decision to change it.

Where ever you are, and who ever you are, at the beginning of this new year, I hope your feet and your heart got you there out of love and hope - and that you have all you need to stay, or to keep going onward.


5 comments:

  1. I feel such a personal connection to this post because it was my birthday 2 days ago and like you I see it as a time of taking stock of where I am now and making sure I'm on the right path, one that's true to me. I love your new blog, I wish you happy new year and a very happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! I look forward toreading your magical words at the new blog. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess that means your birthday is yesterday since I'm in a different time zone but happy birthday! I'm going right over to the new blog now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very happy to say I've just stumbled across your lovely blog, happy belated birthday to you

    ReplyDelete