touching the wild and lovely light

I have given much thought to how I want to use my webspace in this dark, difficult week. I decided in the end not to write any didactic essay, but to simply go on offering peace and love straight up.

(Besides, anyone writing about the horror of one Friday in one city must also rightly mention Beirut, Baghdad, Syria, domestic violence, child abuse, bullying, animal exploitation - all the cruelty and hatred people bring upon this world, all the suffering and grief we universally experience. It's the same tangled story, and while I don't deny we need it told, shouted, wept, I say we need gentle wild tales too, for the healing of broken things.)





Today I went a long way in the rain. I watched it fall in a field of wildflowers and drift through old soft trees. The world was beautiful. (And the world was wracked with pain.) Let me give you long, shimmering grass, and the wistful drape of leaves, and all the gentle comfort of morning rain. I hope you may get from it peace and love.





I like what David Spangler says: "We can turn our lives into an ongoing peace treaty, a source of love, understanding, and compassion for the other." That is what I choose to offer here; the choice itself is my statement about evil and darkness.




8 comments:

  1. This post speaks volumes. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your beauty sarah. It always helps me, make me feel better, makes me see the poetry in things. And I do want to be in light, even as I face darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like that david spangler quote immensely...there seem to be different reactions to this kind of human-caused tragedy amongst people, i have noticed. i think everyone feels sorrow, but some turn away entirely; some grow angry and utter things that only add to the hatred and misunderstanding that underlie such tragedies; and others are filled with a desire to heal the world in some way, even if only by choosing that their own souls should be a place of peace. and this is not a small thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peace and love - yes, we definitely need more of these! Lovely thoughts and exquisite shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ♥ I am thankful for you, for your words and pictures, for the blessing of rain, and the goodness of choosing gentleness and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some might ask how you could speak of beauty and poetry and gentle rain right now, with the world gone mad. I would say, if more people would remember what really matters (and poetry and beauty might be not that far down the list), we all could try to start mending all those broken places and lifes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful Sarah. Thank you. In a week where I felt my voice furling itself into silence, amidst such horror, reading your lovely words of peace is like taking sanctuary. Love and warm wishes. xx

    ReplyDelete