standing at the edge of elsewhere

I turn off the lights and open the night to the long ache of its magic. In the darkness, the otherworld is nearer than one's own skin. It shifts and sighs across the threshold of our existence. And the suburbs, streets, back gardens, hills, tamed trees, weigh differently against consciousness. And the wind is an anthem, a promise, a memory of elsewhere, some other time. It can feel more like home, sometimes, than my own bedroom.





Yesterday I went for a walk in that same wind. It was blowing in from the edge of the world. (There is of course no real edge, not literally, but there is a sense of liminality that you can get even standing in the middle of a suburb, surrounded by ordinary old houses, or on a rambling meadow, or sailing the river, or downtown. A feeling that somewhere else is just there, one layer in, one breath away, one blink of the eye beyond our vision.)

Breathing the wind, I felt wilded. And I felt that if I went back to my house, my bedroom, my furniture and books and things, I would shut myself off from the old and profound sense of home that wind was giving me. Wild home. Home on the earth, at the tail end of forty-some years of memories, in the season, in the feral quiet. Home is not some place. It is our being, our longing, our soul which is the liminal space between this earthly self and that otherworld.



Knitting the Wind is featured today at Inhabit. I feel honoured, and I hope you may be inclined to visit there and say hello to Lisa, and read her wise and beautiful posts.


11 comments:

  1. I haven't commented in awhile (I usually read on mobile) but I've been reading, and enjoying, your beautiful words. I like the way you describe the edge of the world. I hope you are having a wonderful day, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How well you describe your feelings for the world around you Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "our soul which is the liminal space between this earthly self and that otherworld." I feel it, too.♥

    Your thoughts and image are beauty, and it is beauty that heals the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "long ache of magic" are the words that caught my soul as I read. We had a wild storm yesterday and the wind curled around the corners of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words are like meditation. They always leave me with a beautiful sense of peace and sometimes tears. They reach the very soul. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have such a gift, Sarah, for putting words to the deepest feelings. Here, on the other side of the world, I find myself feeling the same things, wishing the same things. Homesick. Prayers for the cool seasons, freedom in wild skies. Sometimes you say that you wonder if you should change your blog and every time I send out a silent prayer - "please don't". You put words to feelings and the words give the feelings wings to freedom. Thank you, Sarah, for sharing yourself with us. I thnk you might have a lot more kindred spirits than you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely words and photo. And congrats on being featured!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Breathing the wind, I felt wilded."

    Oh how beautiful!!!

    And I will go over...

    Gentle hugs, Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautifully expressed
    you took me there

    ReplyDelete
  10. thank you all so much :-) I'm sorry I'm not able to respond individually to comments very often these days, and that I am posting only every second day or so.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It feels just right, to me anyway....a bounty.

    ReplyDelete