a morning medicine walk

I took the long way to the markets today. Over the field, between the trees. I could have gone straight through the village, but there is a comfort to grass underfoot, and hedgeshadow, and the careful stepping over tangled tree roots, that I wanted to remember was possible even in my suburban neighbourhood.

I bought nothing at the markets; I came home instead with leaf, petals, peace, in my pocket.




I am trying lately to re-map and reconsider this place where I live as beautiful, magical. So maybe my pathway today needs a better name than just the back route south towards town ... maybe a lyric line, like the-wander-green-and-quiet-shadow way. Or the-gentling-after-not-quite-sleeping way.

The people around here do not much like flowers, but this particular route is blessed with roses. White roses billowing against the dim sky, small tight pink roses half-hidden within a tumble of hedgerow behind the bakery, dog roses that had been peach-coloured last time I went this way, but now were white and frail like old, over-dreamed women. So maybe I should say it is, at least in summer, the rose-way, until it merges with the long road where only lavender and dusty shrubs grow.

Of course, because I was walking it in my heart as well as my boots, any name for the path can only be transitory. Next time I walk it, my experience will be different, my need different, and when I get home I'll draw from my pocket darker leaves, maybe pebbles, maybe a blackbird feather, and I'll lay them in my lap for an altogether new name, fresh medicine.



9 comments:

  1. Dear Sarah
    I can relate to this. I walk the same path every day - there is always something different to catch my eye, however small. It makes the familiar endearing; knowing where the snowdrops will break through on the hedgerow verges, or where the best brambles grow. Walking through nature is medicine for the soul - far better than looking in shop windows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading this and can relate completely. The landscape you walked through sounds so lovely. I love the names you've found for places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this and can relate completely. The landscape you walked through sounds so lovely. I love the names you've found for places.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Different experiences and turn of events as one cruises around the pathway of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often return home from a walk with a pocket full of treasures - leaves, acorns, a twig, a feather, stones. A little bit of outside to bring inside has healing powers, I agree.
    I like your new blog background too, Sarah. Have a peaceful week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you take me there
    with you words
    and images

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your lovely comments. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every day a new path--I like this thought. ♥

    ReplyDelete