remembering linden cove

My current project is currently paused as life requires all my attention. Even so, I hope it will be finished in about a month or two. That's later than I planned, but I have really been enjoying a more womanly way of writing this year - letting words come from my heart when they are ripe, and when I have space between the hours of mothering, friending, living.

I've been thinking about my previous project, Deep in the Far Away, with more peaceful contentment than I've had about it so far (what with being never entirely happy with anything published!) I love writing stories, but there's something more about a novel. One of these days I hope to reconnect with Emma and see whether she found the beauty she dreamed about.




I have a pinterest board for the book, and sometimes I browse through it and remember certain scenes and the days I spent writing them. I remember sitting on my scrumptious camp bed in my mother's house deep in the countryside, my heart full of floating white mountains and wild oceans, and trying to type up the latest chapter while my computer rocked on the lush, soft quilts. I remember sitting on a storm-swept beach with my mother and talking about Richard's secrets, and receiving letters from people who were worried about where the story might be heading, and trying to trust myself that I was going to get it done the way I wanted to. I remember writing chapters until my heartbeat rose into my throat and silenced any further words - and then the mad editing would begin, with the week's deadline looming! I'm still not sure how I got it done. It was fun though. I said afterwards that I'd never write a serialised story again. Now I'm thinking, well, maybe ...




Almost all my life I've known I wanted to be a writer. I didn't understand though how fond I would be of writing - how writing would become almost like another child to me (not the books but the writing process itself.) I didn't know how it would be a gift both in the doing of it and in the remembering of it - a beautiful enriching of my life. Whether I am a good writer or not doesn't even matter so much to me in that context.





15 comments:

  1. Honestly and truly, Deep in the Far Away is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read. Your words takes my breath away, - so much beauty. I would love to know what happened to Emma, if she is happy, if she found her dreams.

    I feel inspired to try to write something of my own, a longer story. I think I could fall even more in love with writing, and I feel I'm just discovering its possibilities, how happy it could make me....just to write. I'm just wondering how to start. I just have pictures in my mind, not a complete story, with a beginning and an end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so lovely of you to say, thank you. <3

      Don't think about beginnings and endings. I never do. I write the heart of the pictures, and they make their own natural flow into story. I hope you do write, you have such a beautiful way of experiencing the world and expressing that.

      Delete
    2. Thanks sarah. I will write those pictures I see and see what happens.

      Delete
  2. Where could I find your book? (I'm in the US)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go the following link and click on Donate. It will take you to Pay Pal. If you do donate, remember to stipulate which book you want, and also that I am in the southern hemisphere so there may be a delay in my reply :-)

      http://knittingthewind.blogspot.co.nz/p/books.html

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I will check it out soon!

      Delete
  3. I share so many of these feelings. Now I want to go read Deep in the Far Away Again. That was such a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see how writing is almost like having another child. it is indeed breathing life into something. something that has enriched my life, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh darn. I hate it when I have to pause projects, but sometimes it's just so unavoidable. I love your Pinterest board. That's such a fabulous idea. I should keep a Pinterest board for random bird photos, but I get so lazy and it seems like so much work...lol. I think very much along the lines that you do. Just want to paint, doesn't much matter if I'm a good artist or not, as long as the art is there for me. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading the excerpts from your book and the Pinterest board that goes with it. Even if I didn't know you had written it I could have guessed just from your beautiful use of language.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should do another serialized story. I was the doubter when you were tossing the idea around for Deep in the Far Away but I bought it because I love how you weave words. I was enthralled! Deep in the Far Away was such a pleasure to anticipate and read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I am definitely considering it ... at least, after my latest project :-)

      Delete
  8. I think you should do another serialized story. I was the doubter when you were tossing the idea around for Deep in the Far Away but I bought it because I love how you weave words. I was enthralled! Deep in the Far Away was such a pleasure to anticipate and read.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you everyone for your comments. It has been a long couple of days here and I'm sorry I am unable to answer each one. But I appreciate them all.

    ReplyDelete