a gentle trail of beauty on a storm-washed day

On this wild southern morning, in this quiet between white-skied squalls, I find myself without much time, and only a few scattered words. So here are some links for you which I hope you enjoy.

The kindness of ordinary people : the world responds to the Syrian refugee crisis.

The last woman who makes sea silk.

Advice from an old man about grief.

Speaking is seeing : how the language you use changes your view of the world.

Gentle templates : the current look for my journal here is inspired by these two, although I'm resting with a patterned background for warmth as the days here remain cold and stormy. I like the small, enchanting, peaceful photographs these women use. (Not to mention the beautiful poetry of their words.)

We have been studying Aedh Wishes for the Cloths of Heaven by WB Yeats (a wonderful poem about love and the power of human creativity) and along the way we noticed how this painting by Van Gogh showed so perfectly the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half-light.

Strangers in the night : this phone text conversation is so charming.

Heaven or Las Vegas : for those bemused by the mention of The Cocteau Twins in yesterday's post.



11 comments:

  1. Thanks for these beautiful links, especially the one about the woman making sea silk - wow. Such reverence for the sea, for everything. And thank you for linking to my blog. It's funny, because I feel dreamy and inspired by visiting your blog. I love the design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the lovely and interesting links. You always leave breadcrumbs that lead to beautiful places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps. Your wallpaper background is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love gentle templates.......

    But I just can't seem to "do" the photos, to go with them.

    So even though my blog look is pure white, all round, and can't be any more simple than this, my blog doesn't give a 'gentle vibe.'

    But that's ok. Guess my photos rather show how my blog has to look. My forte is extra color. So be it. :-)

    But I soooooo enjoy, coming places like here, and sinking into peaceful soft gentleness....

    ReplyDelete
  5. So nice to have visits from you! I had time for a couple of your links. The language one was fascinating, and the story of people reaching out to the Syrians warmed my heart. It's so good to hear stories of people being good to one another! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to have visits from you! I had time for a couple of your links. The language one was fascinating, and the story of people reaching out to the Syrians warmed my heart. It's so good to hear stories of people being good to one another! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to have visits from you! I had time for a couple of your links. The language one was fascinating, and the story of people reaching out to the Syrians warmed my heart. It's so good to hear stories of people being good to one another! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, now I want to weave sea silk! Yet another art form I haven't tried. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and also want to start accidentally texting to random people.

      Delete
  9. The woman who makes sea silk, and the d man on grief - both of these have me undone. Such beauty. Thankyou Sarah. x

    ReplyDelete