the healing embrace of peace

The long cold is beginning to pass away as spring rises in gold-tinted light and falls as silvery rain. I have filled my house with flowers. They make the place look happy. Some of the stray petals have been tucked inside library books and sent off with good wishes for strangers who might be friends if we ever came together to talk about the books we had both read.

I've returned to Anne of Green Gables for the first time in years. I read all the others in the series repeatedly, but usually skip the original. Last night, I rediscovered its sweetness, and went to sleep with my mind full of cherry blossoms and quiet, sunlit meadows and a wondering glimpse of the sea. It felt like a healing tonic for my mind and spirit.

I have also been reading Country Chronicle by Gladys Taber, which was published in 1974. It's not quite as bucolic as I'd hoped, but she has some lovely, wise insights ... "We live in a world of noise and confusion, and a good many scientists agree that man suffers from it. We are bombarded with noise from jet planes to riveting machines, from subways to sirens. And I think, as I feel the healing of the winter-morning stillness, that we all desperately need some quietude in our lives. I notice how we scream at parties and shout at meeting and what a tendency the young have to toss bombs and smash windows, and I wonder whether part of this isn't a reaction to frayed nerves."

I agree with Gladys. The other day, we went for a stroll through the village, around the back roads, and along the beach. It was so lovely ... and yet, noise accompanied us the whole way. In some places, the harsh roar of traffic was literally painful. It sounded like rush, and bother, and anxiety.


 But there was one moment when we walked beneath the over-arching canopy of a tree, and felt such a sense of being warmly embraced in friendship and peace that we stopped, moved backward, and walked through again to be sure of the feeling. "I do believe this is a much-loved tree," I said. It seemed to appreciate human company. What a moment that was! The loveliness of it really cannot be expressed.

And all those people rushing in their roaring cars will never get to experience it.



7 comments:

  1. oh, yes...sometimes i think i have a physical thirst for silence!

    i do love trees. how lovely to hear from another who can respond to their overtures. i'm sure that your are right, and it is a tree that loves those who love it.

    "anne of green gables" is a classic for so many well-deserved reasons. it was a gentler time in many ways, perhaps. definitely a quieter time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I've taken a short computer break and how lovely to return and find this post waiting. I am also re-reading Anne of Green Gables! I found it a thrift store not too long ago for fifty cents .... she is such a fresh breath of air. Would you believe I'm also reading Anne of Green Gables! I found it at a thrift store weeks ago for fifty cents. Even today it's one of my favorite books.

    I understand about the need for quiet. I crave it almost everyday. Moving to the country has definitely been a treat, I've traded the noise of cars and planes and people for birds and horses and the wind. ♥ Sarah (from One Day...yet, I've closed that chapter and started a new blog)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nature is peace! Love your flower shots - so charming.

    Noise pollution is one of the banes of modern living, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Sarah. Anne is the very best. My copies of books 1 through 5 are so creased and worn from being read over and over and over again... I could never really get into the final three books, though. There just wasn't enough 'Anne' in them... maybe someday, when/if I have children, I'll find them more interesting. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a burst eardrum a few years ago, and everything was heard like it was hushed and far away. I rather enjoyed it! I hope I never ever ever have to live in the city again. It's trees and fields for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you on the noise that surrounds us - I live in a relatively peaceful village and yet there is always background noise to interrupt the quiet. Cutting machines, lawn mowers, cars rushing past, lorries beeping as they reverse - all blocking out the birds singing and the wind soughing in the trees. The industrial revolution has a lot to answer for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, the constant background "white noise" of some aspects of modern life do sound like anxiety. I find much solace from trees. I am reading Anne of Green Gables to the girls at the moment. It takes me back. It really is a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete