the beautiful touch of love

I spent a little time in my garden this morning, watering plants, weeding. I was surprised at how very tranquil and grounded it made me feel. How within myself. Then I remembered that I felt the same way when my child was small. People talk about how difficult, tiring, stressful, it is to have a baby or a toddler but honestly I felt such deep peace.

Perhaps it's because laying hands on life, in a plainly literal sense, connects us with our own being-in-life.

Of course, we see it when animals are brought in to help the sick and elderly : holding another living creature can heal us. There's something profoundly physical about love and belonging. For me, this is answered spiritually by my relationship with the god, within the goddess. (I see it too in older traditions of Christianity.) I can't speak with any authority on the nature of life and afterlife; I can only say that, when I lift a small flower bush towards the sun, when I cradle a baby in my arms, when I touch someone I love (or even a stranger), I feel the divinity of the body, infused with the soul of love.



16 comments:

  1. Such wisdom, Sarah.

    I experience this on a regular basis while at my job (as a caregiver for people living with dementia). I am mostly with those who are in the later stages of this cognitive challenge, so words are not readily available to them as a tool for our communication. Instead I spend a lot of time holding a hand, rubbing someone's back, or simply walking arm-in-arm in silence. And if I could tell you how powerful it is—the divine presence in these tiniest moments of touch and presence—well, I'd write a much better-worded comment. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a rewarding job that must be. I think your comment was very well worded indeed.

      Delete
  2. Oh to just be present in life. How lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, that reminds me that when I became a Master Gardner (that's a volunteer organisation working out of botanical gardens in North America), I have to fulfill a certain amount of volunteer hours to keep up my status, and I love spending the hours in old folk's homes gardening with them and watching them much more than spending the time with children and the little school gardens we help them install. It somehow is so wonderful to help the elderly find that sense of peace and happiness around gardening. Hope we can get to garden forever. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish more people did this kind of thing. Maybe I should think about how *I* can do it.

      Delete
  4. Such a lovely place to visit, beautiful words.

    But I do find the colour of your text quite hard to read, a little too pale against the white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind word, also for your frankness.

      Delete
  5. so beautiful:
    I feel the divinity of the body, infused with the soul of love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like all your views, this is a lovely view of life... And of the after life.... Whatever that may be.


    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I don't know what the afterlife is like, but I am certain it exists :-)

      Delete
  7. :)

    what better way to touch divinity, and to reconnect with our own divinity, than by touching a living being with gentleness and love...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes. it's all right there infront of us, we only have to reach out.

      Delete
  8. Your writing is so beautiful, Sarah. Calming and serene and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This touched me. So beautiful. A serene essence just emanates from your words.

    ReplyDelete