holding space, embracing self

I wasn't going to write a post today, but I read something this afternoon which was so beautiful, and so wise, I now simply have to share it with you. I was introduced to the link through pinterest, which I feel proves what a blessing the internet can be if you set it up to support and enrich yourself.

In the article, Heather Plett writes beautifully about what it means to hold space for someone. She then offers advice in another lovely article on how to hold space for yourself.

"What does it mean to hold space for someone else? It means that we are willing to walk alongside another person in whatever journey they’re on without judging them, making them feel inadequate, trying to fix them, or trying to impact the outcome. When we hold space for other people, we open our hearts, offer unconditional support, and let go of judgement and control." - Heather Plett.




Heather's articles made me think about how, over the past few years, dealing with various disruptive energies, I've been learning some things about holding space ...

Learning that people can keep themselves safe even if they don't have a hard shell of defence, but instead hold their inner space with warm light (or cool shadow), allowing energy to flow in, either to be transformed or released, and allowing energy to flow out fearlessly. Antoinette wrote on this subject a while ago.

Learning that inner space resonates with the energy of external space, so a person can be connected to their self most easily if they have a safe and loving connection with the environment which surrounds them and holds them in a real, practical sense - the home, the neighbourhood, the daily schedule, the energies they choose to live amongst. LM Montgomery understood this, and Steiner schools are created around the idea

Learning too that things can help shape and hold a person's inner space. We're not supposed to focus on things, are we? But personally, a lovely tea cup, or lace dress, or rose perfume, makes a real difference to how I feel within myself. I also find myself supported ... or disrupted ... by the books I read, the music I regularly listen to, the articles I visit, the influences I allow into my life through the internet. 

And learning that all of this is easier when a person trusts the greater spirit that holds theirs. 

These thoughts are merely what Heather's articles brought to the front of my mind. Please go and read what she herself wrote, I'm sure she will inspire you too. 




3 comments:

  1. Thank you for introducing me... She sounds as if she has so much to offer.... To all of us...

    Of course, I will say that you sent me. :-)

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The lesson in this is that no matter who or where you are, you can do the beautiful and important work of holding space for other people. There are so many of us who are making this a priority in our lives that I feel hopeful that this world is finally swinging like a pendulum away from a place of isolation and individualism to a place of deeper connection and love. Isn’t that a beautiful idea?"

    YES. yes, indeed, it is a beautiful idea. and i do believe that our environments are terribly important, as you observed. often, nurturing oneself involves walking away from elements in one's surroundings that do not nourish, that do not serve our best selves, that fragment rather than support wholeness. creating truly nurturing environments and holding space for self or others is an art that deserves to be more generally discussed.

    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this so very much. Thank you for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete