for the love of art

One of my favourite artists is my daughter. Perhaps I am simply an overly proud mother of the most obnoxious kind, but I really do love the wind-shaped women and strange, dreamish animals which emerge from the gentle breath of her pencils. I also love how, more often than not, her images are barely there, like the almost-unheard drawing-in of breath between shy words.

Unfortunately, such gentleness doesn't photograph well. For example, the fragment of picture here doesn't show the subtlety that the original has. And Rose is still only a young student, of course, with a long road ahead of her. But I'm rarely looking for sophistication in art. I fall in love with certain pictures when my heart rises to them, seeing a kindred imagination.

Another favourite artist of mine is someone whose name I don't know, and whose art I have only in my memory. One day several years ago, we wandered into a quiet, hill-high gallery and unexpectedly found ourselves surrounded by pencil drawings of delicate, fine-boned dragons. I could have stayed for hours in the calm white light, with the haunting smell of forest drifting in through the windows, as I gazed at every soul-wrought detail. That artist was only student too. Nobody great, sophisticated, or important. But their art will inspire my heart forever.

I'm as lowbrow, sentimental, and self-absorbed about art as I am about books. I don't care about what's considered good. I love what I love, because I love it.


Some other favourites ...

Alan Lee
Virginia Lee
Terri Windling
Christina Cairns
Henry Justice Ford
Jeanie Tomanek




20 comments:

  1. That's fantastic. Art is just so subjective, isn't it? I tend to get very weepy in galleries in front of old masters paintings. My whole heart goes out to something and that's it. True love forever. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love some of the old masters too, such as Waterhouse. Galleries are like magical worlds.

      Delete
  2. Oh that small glimpse of a drawing makes me want to see more. Your daughter is amazingly talented I think, and her drawings have such a nice feeling to them. Dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, its so kind of you to say this.

      Delete
  3. this is so very lovely~
    i wonder if her art would scan better?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably, but we don't have a scanner.

      Delete
  4. "Art"...."I love what I love, because I love it."

    Is there any other way????

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. -happy sigh- Her art is mesmerizing. I could sit here, and simply stay lost in looking at it, all morning. Mesmerizing...

    If I 'had my druthers,' I'd not want her to "advance" farther, or what ever it is, which young artists are "supposed" to do.

    Her art is perfected now. Why change? Why? Rose, please don't...

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so very lovely of you, thank you :-) What a beautiful thing to say.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you, when I see a piece that I like, I don't care whether someone considers it a good piece or not. we're so very judging, aren't we? who can stop other people from having opinions? we can only accept them or not.

    the little fragment drew by your daughter, looks good to me. it's certainly better than most that I've seen but then again, it is just an opinion.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we are so very judging on what other people should love. It's sad.

      Delete
  7. Your daughter's art is beautiful! What a talent she has. I love that last sentence in this post. I feel the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just...wow. That drawing is beautiful. Soft, and wild, and fey. I too would be very proud. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your really kind words. :-)

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness, Sarah, your daughter is so very talented! If she's ever in Paris have her look me up... I was strolling around Montmartre yesterday, and though it's become quite a tourist trap in recent years, couldn't help but gaze in awe at all of the artists and their beautiful work.

    I can only imagine how lovely this drawing is in person... as much as I love photography, I must admit, there's something magical about sketches that photos usually lack.

    ReplyDelete