the sky behind my bones

I went out in the last light of the day, the time that always seems to me like a Robert Frost poem, lovely and just a little melancholy. I came home in the dark. Only two bright stars were visible, too bright for beauty. And the sky, so black and cold, was stiff with silence. I was glad to get home.

But at home I felt the darkness and the cold linger within me, as if I had a night sky behind my bones. And for all the river dragons and leshys that live on this plain, it seemed far too empty for comfort. The emptiness of wide spaces and the air above the sea.

I'd rather have an old hill sky, tumbled up with stones and forests, shy-eyed witches and gnomes; the sort of sky that has risen out of shadowy tree roots and secretive vintage storybooks. But I think for a while I'm bound to be dreaming of the sea and the silence. The dark side of peace.




(Have I shared with you the photography of Vivienne Mok? I can't remember. It's ethereally beautiful; reminiscent of David Hamilton's work but with a woman's sensibility and no dubious creeping along certain boundaries.)



16 comments:

  1. It's getting so, the only fitting comment I can leave here, is a happy sigh.......

    And I intend to share a link, to all this happy-sigh-making loveliness, with my Dear Readers, soon.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your words immerse me in the most ethereal images.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just now, I posted a sharing-you-with-my-readers post. :-)

    I hope that you will be pleased, when you read it.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tessa sent me here - I loved what I read in this entry. I'll be back. And love the title of your blog. Thanks Tessa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So lovely. And Vivienne's photographs are beautiful. (and I know my comments here are never long, but I read every word. Your writing is utterly incredible.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. As usual, I am lost in your beautiful words. I can just feel the essence of what you are describing. Vivienne's photography is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As usual, I am lost in your beautiful words. I can just feel the essence of what you are describing. Vivienne's photography is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As usual, I am lost in your beautiful words. I can just feel the essence of what you are describing. Vivienne's photography is beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely words and thoughts.
    Here from Tessa's and glad to be here.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'The sky behind my bones' - fab title. I was 'driven' here after reading in Bella Grace of carrying a book, not to read, but to hold for memories of beautiful words. Lovely. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha, interesting to know one person came here via Bella Grace :-) Thanks!

      Delete
  11. Exquisite words. That second paragraph is a beauty spell, I'm certain : ) xx

    ReplyDelete