quiet moon

On the verge of sleep, I wander into my kitchen. Its dark is stained with light. A little further along, the yoga room is like an inhalation, a moment of meditation caught and held still on the shadowy air. So I duck down and look out past hanging shells and mint leaves to the sky, and yes, there it is - the moon.

Although, to be honest, I don't see the moon. I would have to go down on my knees for it. I see the moon's halo. I see the way it eases the late night sky with a faint memory of blue. Not a slightest glimpse of wind anywhere. Only the strange, ceaseless rushing that I imagine sometimes is the sea's dream, even on nights when nothing is moving - not the sea, or the traffic, or the tree leaves.





I call this month quiet moon. Used to be, deep winter was the season of rest. Now of course we rest in summer, at least those of us who buy our food from supermarkets and our house repairs from experts. The sun's warmth no longer invigorates us but mellows our bones, our thoughts, sending us beachward. And increasingly these days we can not even be out safely under that sun, because we've ripped apart the ozone, poisoned the air, created deadly heatwaves and droughts. We act like we're smarter than nature - but we are not wiser.

I don't think any of this in the moonlight, though. I think how I'm standing in magic.



16 comments:

  1. Standing in magic, how lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful picture you have painted with words much like the photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy sigh..........

    What more can I say.....?

    Your beautiful words go so well, with the soft music I am listening to.

    Thank you...

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Addition... Not the part about how we have hurt Nature. No, not that part. It is not beautiful or relaxing. It is a fact. A sad fact.

    But I am choosing to dwell in the beauty of your vision, for right now.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love this... it felt like an echo in my mind, so many nights I do/think/feel the same thing (except for the sea part).
    Standing in magic is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So lovely to return to the beauty and magic of your words. Full moon blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking at the moon last night, too, thinking it looked magical.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Standing in Magic. Love. <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful image, the colours are lovely- & so beautiful written.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Standing Magic ~ how lovely and just what the photo looks like the 'miracle of the day'.

    Happy Weekend,
    Happy Fourth of July to the USA
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely colors and a beautiful image. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colors are pretty impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can feel a moment of tranquil here.

    ReplyDelete