glimpses of elsewhere

I am unwell today, so I'm afraid it's going to have to be another link post. I am sorry. I hope everything is good where you are, and that your day is as lovely as mine looks to be beyond the closed curtains.




Shark attacks surfer during live competition. What impressed me most about this story is the man who paddled towards the shark to help his fellow competitor. Such heroism. And also thinking of the man's poor mother, watching live on tv!

Terri Windling has a couple of posts on the Child Ballads, illustrated with pictures that took me right back to my childhood. When I compare those pictures with the sort available in popular children's books these days, I feel sad. There's certainly some beautiful modern art done for children, but my upbringing was resonant with history and mythology, and I wonder how many are getting that today. We are increasingly disconnected from the dreams and visions that built our world, and I wonder if that disconnection contributes towards our willingness to blithely destroy that world.




I recently had this post reproduced in Bella Grace magazine. Many thanks to my friends who sent me photographs of the pages. It was heartwarming to know there were lovely people out there who would do something like that for me.

Has the end of capitalism begun?

I am looking forward to reading The Wild Girl by Kate Forsyth, about the young woman who was the source for many of the Grimm brothers' stories.

And some tiny pieces of my next project, which in the face of illness and good weather is going much slower than I'd hoped, but I offer these just to anchor it in the assurance of happening, for my own sake, as I keep my eye on a lovely horizon  ....

I've never seen magic in him. To me, he is the beautiful ordinary – hill and dirt, summer and the certainty of the sea.

and

She was unwanted, unloved. She was pining away for her north. Her storm-swept, wild-song country, from all the way down there in the calm south.

and

Have a beautiful day, where ever you are in the world.




15 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you're unwell, Sarah. I hope you feel much better soon.

    Your photos are exquisite - I want to gaze and gaze at the top one. It's stirred me deeply.

    I'm going to enjoy exploring your links later today. And I can recommend The Wild Girl, I really enjoyed that one.

    Those snippet from your latest project are tantalisingly lovely. I so look forward to reading more. I absolutely adored Deep in the Far Away.

    Sending you healing wishes, m'dear. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your feel better soon, your links are interesting , the picture of the window is so calm it must be a wonderful place to live.
    My best wishes ,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, its actually a shawl hanging from my umbrella as I stood on the beach in the rain :-)

      Delete
  3. I for one can't wait until your appetizer grows into something more. And had a bit of a moment of recognition to both descriptions...

    But take your time, dear, get your rest. I hope things improve soon. Let it all brew under the surface.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Sarah
    Sorry to hear you have been ill and hope you are back to your normal self soon. Your words, as ever, are beautifully chosen as are your pictures. It sounds as though you are enjoying good weather which will surely raise your spirits. Have a good and productive week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, unwell is my normal state. And no, not enjoying good weather - I really only ever enjoy the "bad", the rain and the windstorms. I have very little creativity on bright and sunny days. My comment about good weather was sardonic :-) Summer's drought is the reason this project wasn't finished months ago as it should have been.

      Delete
    2. Oh gosh, that's a terrible state to be in Sarah. I've gone thru months of unwell recently and am just starting to recover a "new" normal. I hope you'll recover soon.

      Delete
  5. Hope gentler days come for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear that you are not well. I hope that you are feeling better soon. Until then I will enjoy the posts as I always do. Thank you for sharing those with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved and hated The Wild Girl in equal measure, I would love to hear what you think :-)
    ... and I think it was South Africa where the shark attacked, Aussie surfers though ... our waters are not as perilous as they might first seem...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes sorry I realised that fairly quickly but for some reason didn't come back and fix my error. and nah, aussie waters are safe as - just dont look at the sharks and the crocs and the deadly jellyfish ;-)

      Delete
  8. -happy sigh- More peeks, into your beautiful and imaginative mind.

    You will finish this next project... Meanwhile, let it live and grow, in your mind.

    Gentle hugs, Tess

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I hope you feel better, Sarah! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all so very much for your kind thoughts. I am a tiny little better today.

    ReplyDelete