walking our soul's path

You may know about the Hero's Journey by Joseph Campbell - a linear, masculine path of experience, taking an archetypal hero from innocence to mastery. There are also some female versions around which use a similar structure but redefine each step to fit a more womanly experience.

Over the past few months, I have been developing my own mythic pathway of experience. It is primarily a woman's path, but only because I have come to it from a woman's perspective. There are twelve waymarkers, as is usual, but they don't proceed from a beginning to an end. Instead, they weave through each other, more an amble than a path - a layered experience which begins amongst the debris of its own ending. Each waymarker is built on from the previous one and shapes the next, and yet is not a set place within the heart - it moves, it sways backwards with homesickness, forwards with indescribable yearning. The natural seasons inform this passage. Old myths whisper a songline of the way.




It is a path for the soul ... but it is also a path for storytelling. I am weary of the advice writers are given about three act plot structures, about rising tension and critical conflict points. I want to suggest a different approach.

I had intended to write a book about it. But as you know, I don't have good health, and there simply hasn't been enough of the right kind of energy to create such a book at this time. (Another is being written, though. Something stranger, darker, moonlit.) So I thought I might share it here instead.

I haven't decided if I'll spend two weeks describing this path to you, or offer it up more slowly - here and there, now and then. Nor do I know when I will start. But it came to me last night that I wanted to speak its name aloud, give it shape in the world.





Since it is Friday, here are some of my favourite finds of the week ...

* Pigs have an intelligence greater to that of a three year old. So should we eat them? This article has an interesting perspective. My opinion is that not everyone can be a vegetarian, but everyone can care about the suffering of all animals.

* For my Christian friends or anyone who thinks about love and dirt.

This song. Yes, even after that previous link. Love is magnificent, whether it's told with a raw voice, a beautiful voice, or in rage. We should listen to all voices when they speak of love. Listening to love - listening for love - will create real conversations, and that can only lead to togetherness. This song too, for yet more of it.

* This quote.

* The enclosure of childhood.

* Want to save the whales? Then first save the sardines.



[Sharing with Friday Finds.]

6 comments:

  1. Love your bottom pic of the sky - almost feel like I'm moving looking up at it! I like your interesting idea about the pathway of experience; it sounds more realistic. Good luck with however your present this - I look forward to hearing more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had shivers of excitement reading about your (feminine) mythic pathway. I find your way of describing this fascinating, and so beautiful.

    Also, I'm sorry that your health is hampering your book writing. But I have no doubt that your strange, dark and moonlit creation will be something exquisite.

    Lovely links, and appreciate your balanced and sensitive view regarding the suffering of animals.
    Blessings to you. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting..... Meandering and spiralling, yep...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to hear about your mythic pathways of experience which I am sure will be enlightening and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, I know 'The Hero's Journey' by Joseph Campbell. (I know all I can, about J.C., the person. :-))

    I certainly look forward to your version, showing the womanly experience.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete