the voice of the wild

Today I had some spare time, so I went looking for forest quiet. But what I found instead was that forest has a voice. It will tell you of things you may not hear or see around you and, as if it is a gathering of old dark women, it will watch out for you as you move through its shadows.

I thought trees would speak a language so foreign we might only feel it. But I understand now that we are a forest ourselves, inside of ourselves, and we can understand the language of the wild - so long as we are willing to listen.

Later, I sat on the brow of a hill and watched the valley beneath me fill with a thunderstorm. It stirred trees and shed rainbows, but I remained untouched where I was. Afterwards, the sky turned deep gold, as if it was burned by the storm's passion.

Such a beautiful, fierce love language.




Today is Friday, which means I am pleased to share with you things I have enjoyed through the week ...

I read Patricia McKillip's Wonders of the Invisible World today (for the second time). The stories are not her usual fare - they are mostly darker, with a chill to them, which I of course love.

Such a kind boy, obviously beautifully raised.

Sheds and stars.

I loved this post about blogging and art and privacy and more by Melissa Wiley.

The comments on posts at Terri Windling's weblog are so often poetic and beautiful, they inspired me to write this tweet : With some people its like they weren't given diamonds in their voice, or toads, but wildflowers and magical herbs. My own readers leave beautiful, thoughtful comments too and I am so grateful for, and often so sincerely touched by, them all.

Write your name in Elvish. This reminds me of a gift my brother gave me when I was much younger. It was a leather map case, full of maps drawn on aged, stained paper. He had created the cylindrical case, burning elvish characters into it, then hand-drawn each map and treated the paper. Am I not the luckiest sister in the world, to have a brother like that?

I am currently reading Feral by George Monbiot. Here is an article of his about how our rampant consumption is trashing our world.


(Joining with Friday Finds)

4 comments:

  1. Exquisite set of links, Sarah. Some of my favourites of the riches you have offered. Thankyou, thankyou for the book recommendations. Both are going on my to-read list.
    And yes, you are the luckiest of sisters - how utterly lovely : ) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, listening to the trees is one of my favorite things to do. I love Mother Nature's language. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful words and image to go with them ...

    ReplyDelete