the value of a smile

I go on alot about kindness. But some people were exceedingly kind to me today, and they proved once again the power it can have. I need to tell you, kindness doesn't just touch upon a person's circumstances. It touches their spirit too.




Smiling at someone costs nothing. Politeness costs nothing. But the value of these small, simple things is often incalculable. I've heard from people who were absolutely at the end of their strength - but then a stranger caught their eye, noticed their existence, smiled at them, and they received from that just enough courage to keep on. Such wealth in an action that requires no money, no thought, barely any effort at all.

And imagine you were having a terrible day but you nodded to a stranger, smled at them. How greatly would it redeem your bad day to know that you had saved them - or saved their hope, their heart for the world?

I am always so sad when I hear people scorn the simple kindness of holding open a door for someone else. They value self-reliance and strength more. But when you hold open a door for someone, you're not only blessing them. You're lighting your own heart with goodness too.




I believe a person's value lies in the good they can contribute to the world. And that doesn't necessarily involve work or money. You never know what your thanks will mean to the recipient. What your stepping aside so they can pass may do to ease their path not only in that moment but for days or years to come.

I've said it all before, and I'm sorry for repeating myself. It's just that today I was reminded how we can be angels for each other. And if I can pass along a little of the goodness of that even in the smallest way, it's my honour to do so.



{Today's photos are edited with Kim Klassen textures. Sharing this post here.}

10 comments:

  1. So true. As Peggy Tabor Millin said, we never touch someone so lightly so as not to leave a trace. A little kindness can have a powerful effect. Beautiful read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true. As Peggy Tabor Millin said, we never touch someone so lightly so as not to leave a trace. A little kindness can have a powerful effect. Beautiful read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words and so true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It feels so good to put a little light or ease the path in someone's life. I think about the people who's hearts are heavy and wonder what something as small as a smile would do for them.

    I'm going to be fully aware of that today. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this, Sarah. Kindness can make such a difference in a person's life... and so many people truly are good at heart. It gives me hope for my future, and the world's. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for writing this. I feel the same way. Kindness is so important, so powerful. There is something about being seen, I think. Sometimes we feel alone, and then someone sees us, gives us a smile, and it helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. these photos are quite lovely
    kindness is a blessing
    sometimes lifting the heaviest of burdens with eye contact and a smile
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your post. The images are lovely, but I particularly love your thoughts on kindness. I think most of us just get in a big hurry and forget the little kindnesses. I live in Southern California in a highly populated area….waaaay too many people always in a rush. Today there was a line of traffic on the street in front of my house, and I thought I would be sitting in my driveway for quite a while as one by one each would have to stop at the stop sign. Amazingly, a lady showed me kindness by leaving a gap so I could pull out. Such a small kindness but so appreciated. I try to do this as often as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful thoughts. I find that many who live around me do many small nice things . . . a smile, a wave, hold the door open for you, plus many more. I try to do the same for others. A little kindness goes a longmway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right. Small acts of kindness, a loving word, a smile, are really very powerful things.

    ReplyDelete