the story of life

Every year I tell my daughter a story about the road of life. It is an intuitive story which shapes itself as I speak my slow way through it. I never know how it will go until I say the words aloud.

Simply put, the structure of the story is this: a metaphorical road leads a child from the warm and loving home gradually into the world beyond - to meadow and river and harbour city - as they grow up. The changing setting reflects their spirit and experience each time. In many ways, this story benefits a mother as much as it does the child, because in the way of stories it offers insights that normal contemplation never quite manages.




After a very long time of telling this story, I myself learned something this year that I hadn't really understood before. I was enchanted and inspired, and I appreciated that the wisdom had to unfold for a few years before it was really to be told in words -

There is no road. It dwells inside you, all along.

Some people walk interesting streets and sail away towards horizons. They're excited about going - going - like a child who runs to the top of a hill and wants to be now in the world they see stretched before them. But these people, they're not really going anywhere. The ones who make a true journey are those who know to stand with their feet in their own shadow, their eyes turned up to their star, their hands and hearts open to the dream of their own inner magic that will take them far beyond any mere places.


10 comments:

  1. I love that this story in particular is still growing and speaking to you, I have grown my own from yours for myself and my boys, and it still catches unexpected places in our hearts each year. I can't thank you enough for this blessing, amongst many others, I could quote your reply to my previous comment right back to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have no idea how much joy it brings me to hear someone else has taken up this tradition. You've just made ten years of blogging worthwhile for me. <3

      Delete
  2. SO true! This summer has been especially heartwarming for me, as my dd has been making greater steps into adulthood, so fully embracing it while completely aware how she is opening up and doing so (fully in the moment and watching the little girl fade). I love replaying all the steps that brought her to here! Happy birthday, Rose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear cousin. Seeing our girls become women is one of the greatest gifts of motherhood, I believe.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I think so, too, in a way. I love this tradition you have with your daughter. I hope she had a wonderful Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. in a way, yes - a metaphorical way. I'm all for *actual* travel! :-) I'm a gypsy spirit myself.

      Delete
  4. Your daughter is lucky, to have a mother, with such vision, and ability to put it, into words.

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely insight and vision!

    ReplyDelete