the revelation of love

This morning I read about Muslim people who formed a human shield to protect Western tourists from a rampaging terrorist.

I also read about people crying in sorrow because other people were now legally entitled to love, same as them.




I see no need to comment, those people express themselves quite effectively. I did like though this quote by the Dalai Lama :

'Everyone has the right to live happily. Once you have a firm conviction in that then suddenly man-made problems will reduce.'

And I liked this quote from Archbishop Cupich on the role of priests : "Our job is to accompany people, that is something the Holy Father has said time and time again." It reminds me of my favourite idea about life: We are all just walking each other home. 

I also liked this artist's weblog which I discovered this week.

I have run out of books to read; I am rereading Ombria In Shadow by Patricia McKillip. Do you have any recommendations for me?


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I love "we are all just walking each other home". Yes. Oh, yes.

    Thankyou for the book rec - I can never resist adding to my ridiculously long list of books to-read. My brain has gone all spongey from a long day of teaching, but books I have loved have been anything by Margo Lanagan, and The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey. I have a thing for fairytales though. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have Eowyn's book, signed by her. I was lucky enough to attend a talk by her. She read a little from the book, answered some questions - "how do you pronounce your name?" being the first of them (old ladies who have never read Tolkien) but mostly she talked about her land. She lives in a beautiful wild part of Canada.

      I love Margo Lanagan's books too.

      Delete
  2. I don't like to suggest books, because we each have personal reading preferences. But if you go to my blog, and scroll down to the very bottom... You will find my (Bottom) Side Bar. On the left, you will find links to my "Books Read Pages" for 2013, 2014, and 2015. Perhaps you might find something, which strikes your fancy.

    Gentle hugs,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  3. One book that I really loved is Orkney by Amy Sackville - a novel about the ocean and love and longing - I think you would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "We are all just walking each other home." Yes.

    I read The Moon Sisters by Therese Walsh during our winter, and it has haunted me since. “The night before the worst day of my life, I dreamed the sun went dark and ice cracked every mirror in the house, but I didn’t take it for a warning.” I don't want to spoil the story by revealing too much, but I will say that it is about two very different sisters who reluctantly find themselves together on a dangerous journey. One sister is practical, ambitious, and serious, while the other sister's synesthesia gives her quite a different impression of reality. It beautifully told, magical, compassionate and hopeful. One of the most memorable stories I've read in a long time.

    ReplyDelete