seven pieces of love

It's the lovely dark bend in the week, and I have links for you. Many people follow my blog obviously expecting knitting patterns (and are very welcome, although probably end up disappointed), and other people follow because they like a post or two and then they see me mention something outside the usual church spirituality and realise I am not a kindred spirit after all (I actually identify as a sort-of-Quaker with old-style-pagan leanings, incase you were wondering).

So today I thought I would share with you some things I really love, that you may know a little more about me ...




1. I do not like summer, will never like summer, no really. Not the least because our summers are too hot to enjoy regular cups of tea. (We have several varieties of tea in jars in our kitchen, but while I will happily open the rose and vanilla jar to enjoy its fragrance (and will even more happily eat biscuits made from it) I always prefer to drink the simple black variety).

2. I have knitted three things in my entire life. One of them, a baby's cardigan, was actually quite impressive. I would love to do more, but fibroymalgia stops me.

3. I prefer a peaceful country style.

4. Someone once asked me what I was listening to in my headphones. Nirvana, I said, causing them to spit out their coffee. They'd assumed I'd be listening to classical music. There are, however, few pieces of classical music which don't overwhelm me. My favourite music to listen to at the moment is the sublime offerings of House of Wolves.

5. I love the idea of Game of Thrones, but can not bear to actually watch it due to the violence and cruelty. However, I found this hilarious.

6. I was a fisherman's daughter, so I have a rather colourful vocabulary. But this week I found some lovely old words I definitely want to add to it. We actually used the word groke in conversation tonight.

7. Two blog recommendations : A Daily Cup of Yoga and Riverwitch.

I hope you have a beautiful day.

14 comments:

  1. You are a kindred spirit, Sarah. These links: between nodding and sighing, I love them all. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely kindred. I was glued to the first couple of seasons of GoT, albeit it through my fingers much of the time. A friend just loaned me S4 on dvd and I couldn't get further than two episodes. So OVER the constant and gratuitous sexual violence. A shame, because Tyrion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did lots of knitting as a teenager, making beautiful elaborate things but then I hurt my shoulder and eventually I had to stop. I longed to get back into it and so a couple of years ago, gave myself permission so long as I watched my posture, stretched and only did it in short stints. It was one of the things that helped keep me sane through house moving hell last year (that and watching Jonathan Creek on Netflix). I had to give up again a while back due to increased pain again but have just started to get back to it again, doing 1 row and putting it aside. I too have fibromylagia but with as my pain management has improved, unfortunately my energy levels and related symptoms have got a lot worse, so my main limiter these days is energy. I'm telling myself though that even just 1 row a day will amount to something in a few weeks time :)

    And I love heavy rock too, though not Nirvana. I'm more of a Metallica and AC/DC fan myself. However I do find with the fibro that I tend to be drawn to quieter, gentler music these days, possibly cos I can't dance like I used to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "...and then they see me mention something outside the usual church spirituality and realise I am not a kindred spirit after all"

    -gigggles- OOOOOPs! Outside the usual church spirituality!!!! Eeeekkk! Run for the hills!!! Might get tempted here!!!! Eeeeeeeek!!!!

    OK, I had my fun. May well not be supposed, to leave such a comment. But it made me grin and turned a key in my mind. In my blogging mind, as well. The general unwritten law in 'Pretty Blog Land' to not, not, not dare to state any views, which do not match with the usual church stuff.

    Bahhhhhh-humbug.... I get so tired of it. Get so tired of one religion, having carte blanche, to post in 'Pretty Blog Land.' And everyone else, is supposed to just, keep quiet.

    Harumphhhhhhhhh...

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. oh my goodness, it really was very long, wasn't it?!

      Delete
    3. I'm sorry to say this is somewhat of my experience as well. As well as assumptions made, you can seldom read about things like being pro-choice or ideas on femininity or humility or natural family planning without it being structured in Christian language. I have always wanted to talk about such things using a different language because I think they are issues for all women, whatever their religion.

      And yes, there are "pagan" women who like wearing lace and pearls and are pro-life and cheer everything Pope Francis says. And who go down on their knees in the wild dark for a dangerous ancient God who might carry them off the edge of the world but they can't help it, because when God has you, you don't want to help it. And that's another thing I would wish to talk about - the LOVE side of religion, not just the creed side. Someone who does this is Ann Voskamp. Judging from her following, Christians are hungry to hear about the deep loving heart of God. I wonder if "pagans" are hungry for the same thing too.

      I must say that most of my cherished readers are Christian of one stripe or another, and I adore them. I adore the way they live their faith. I am grateful for their friendship and hospitality. (And thanks to their beautiful example, I spent many years studying Christianity, which ultimately led to my Quaker affiliation now. The thing I love best about Quakerism is there's no need for a structure of language. It's what the Divine says to you, through you, that matters, not the words you might use, hopelessly inadequately, to describe that Divine.)

      I think also there are other forces which rule as well as religion. White people rule Blog Land. Rich or stable middle class people rule Blog Land. We may be scared to discuss different religions, but we're even more scared to discuss income. And I see one or two black faces - but I see few gay or transgender people talking about flowers and pretty chinaware. They may read such blogs but would they dare to speak their truth?

      Some people may say, why would a transgender woman ... or a man ... want to read about pretty china, Christian ethics, and the school lunch run? But that's my point. We make so many assumptions about people based on their religion, their skin colour, their income, their gender. I do it. I look sidelong at Pinterest pages of pretty things curated by men. It's a shame. The internet is such a great tool for developing and enriching a wide-open community.

      Posting this comment now although it feels really scary ...

      Delete
    4. (edited and reprinted, which is why it comes after my comment about it, lol.)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for your links and information.

    Gentle hugs,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for your brave and thought-provoking comment.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed reading this. I hope you have a lovely day as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you for sharing
    more bits
    of yourself
    house of wolves is filling my wee cabin, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much to all who left such lovely comments, I really appreciate it. Sorry I don't have time to always answer everyone personally. Perhaps if I didn't leave long screeds I would have more time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely despise, summer, too, Sarah. It's the worst... and I still have a few months to go, unfortunately. :/ <3

    ReplyDelete