settling for less

There are some dreams which are impossible. One of the saddest things about life is that too many things require resources which are beyond most people. You can work and strive and visualise and learn and sacrifice as much as you like, but if you don't have that extra money, or the right connections, or the necessary physical attributes, it's not going to come about.

But there are also some dreams which grow slow and quiet in deep forests, and you just need to have patience and trust that they will eventually blossom.




And sometimes you have to settle for what seems less than what you originally dreamed about - but with care you may learn that there really is no less or more, there is only what you choose to make of the abundance gifted to you.

You can't be a six foot tall professional ballerina, but you can still dance.

(Which is not to say that you aren't entitled to grieve the loss of all that comes from being a professional ballerina.)

My own life overflows with beautiful abundance. Anyone looking in from the outside would probably not think so. But they're not seeing it the way I do. Of course, I don't always have calm gratitude or patience. For example, I really wish I had a good camera right now. I tell myself, though, that it's not the cheap and junky camera which matters, it's the fact I keep using it. Even if I never do get a good one, I will have still discovered how to find the kind of beauty I love, and that is what photography is really about.


(In the meanwhile, I'm writing dreams into shape here.)


11 comments:

  1. oh god, but you are right. xoxo from another cheap, junky camera owner. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think creativity grows [can grow] in the absence of things or skills or attributes. you got to make do with what you have. not having money or the 'right' connections or simply not being as social and outgoing as today's society requires you to be makes it harder. but I wonder if what you get instead might not be worth more than what's generally accepted as success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So True.
    It was a dream of mine once to be a professional ballet dancer... I trained for many long years and poured my heart and soul into the process, but it was sadly not to be.

    What I discovered was that dreams change and other dreams reveal themselves. Everything that I learned in working towards that dream can be applied to any number of things. Nothing is wasted and who knows what is around the next corner. I have learned many valuable lessons from the dreaming and the losing of the dream.

    Though it still pains me to see a pair of my old satin ballet shoes in the attic gathering dust, I am grateful to have the opportunity for new directions and new dreams. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for you loss, but I understand too what you are saying about how the learning and skills can be used for something else. I knew a person who planned on being a dancer but something prevented it, and all their skills were invaluable in the next thing they took up.

      Delete
  4. Your photography is so beautiful, that it would be a shame, to ever change your camera. Why 'move up,' when perfection is here already?

    And I am not 'just saying this'! Your photography looks as if it is done in a fantastic studio, or some such. I don't know anything about softness in photos, but you have it down pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely thing for you to say, thank you so much :-) xx

      Delete
  5. So lovely and true. <3 (and I adore the photos you take with your current camera. They're magical.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's not the camera, but the photograph who takes the pictures - and yours are magical!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This. This is how I feel. So much so I choked up reading.

    And what others here have said about your photos - I agree. They are exquisite. Filled with wonder and softness.

    ReplyDelete