grain free vegetarian pizza

The sky is vast and clear today, and shellacked with sun. But it's cold, so cold - that bright white cold which seems to blow out of the old heart of King Winter. Twice today I have seen men suddenly smile - ordinary smiles, but somehow extra beautiful on this particular day deep inside Midwinter. There's such a masculine feeling to these solstice hours.* The power of the ice and the sun feels strong within them.

We have a new favourite meal here. My daughter makes pizza without grains. It really is so very delicious and, unlike some vegetarian alternatives, really works.




Grain Free Vegetarian Pizza

For the base, mix one cup of shredded broccoli with one egg. Make the boccoli as dry as possible before mixing. The bigger the batch, the less egg you will need. Beat the egg separately and pour into broccoli until it looks right. Smooth it onto baking paper or a greased tray, and bake it for 15-20 minutes on 230 degrees celsius. Once it is crisp and golden, layer on vegetables.

You're supposed to use tomato paste, like with regular pizza, but we are trying to avoid artificial additives and sugar, not to mention BPA in cans. Let me assure you sliced tomato does just as well, especially cherry tomatoes.

Then add whatever other vegetables you love - for example, capsicum, radish, spinach, kale, mushroom. Pine nuts or cashews are a nice addition. Add also cottage cheese. Of course you could use regular cheese, but we find cottage cheese is just as lovely and doesn't make the meal too heavy. Grill until the vegetables are all done. (About ten minutes)






* We follow the old tradition of solstice lasting three days.


Sharing here, here, and here.

8 comments:

  1. Of course even the food would be extraordinay here! Sounds completely delicicious. I am so honored that you peek into my simple blog now and then and especially that you leave a few sparkling words for me to savor. I really must thank you for the link you left to Lesley Austin's wonderful site. I am anxious to explore more of it. So thoughtful of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course even the food would be extraordinay here! Sounds completely delicicious. I am so honored that you peek into my simple blog now and then and especially that you leave a few sparkling words for me to savor. I really must thank you for the link you left to Lesley Austin's wonderful site. I am anxious to explore more of it. So thoughtful of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your gorgeous weblog and am only too shy to comment often. Isn't Lesley's site wonderful? I am happy you like it. Have a beautiful day.

      Delete
  3. I do love the cold when it is crisp and clear! The pizza sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really works! Ahhhhh yes, that is the test. Because none of the so-called-G/F pizza shells seem to work, for me.

    My G/F condition is not choice, but necessity. And I have learned to simply give up on a lot of alternatives. But I'm willing to try this one. Because I do love pizza.

    Thank you.

    As well as thank you, for your lovely opening paragraph.

    Gentle hugs,
    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds wonderful
    thank you for sharing how you made it

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds absolutely delicious, my friend! Thank you for sharing this tasty and healthy recipe with Roses of Inspiration....I appreciate the time you take to link up. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete