walking home in the afternoon

Late sunlight limned the clouds with gold. They were a promise of night. They were dark-breasted mountains; a kingdom that climbed out of a vast, windswept plateau. If you walked their steep and narrow roads, you might take your rest at a tea house which tipped slightly into the view, and you might drink spicy, creamy tea while sitting on embroidered cushions and listening to fine-boned harp music. In the thin, red-washed mansions nearby, old men read out-of-date newspapers and complain languidly to each other and dream of their magnificent pasts. On the rooftop gardens, bored girls write poetry on pieces of paper that they then fold into darts and send out, with no real hope, for the wind, the unseen dragons, to carry away into clouds.


7 comments:

  1. A very welcome captivating diversion ... off to daydream about those unseen dragons of the wind...

    ReplyDelete
  2. dream shattered by selecting pictures of burritos as a captcha verification :-(
    off to read Otherwise with a cup of tea to soothe my irritated soul...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I am so annoyed, no matter what I do with my settings, they keep requiring verification. One of these days I may be able to get myself a real site of my own ... sigh, that's a very old dream ... How nice to think someone may still be reading Otherwise. You have made my night :-)

      Delete
  3. oh, please tell me that this is the beginning of a new story you're writing......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, this is just my version of seeing sheep or dolphins in the clouds :-) I am writing something, very very slowly, but it looks different to this.

      Delete
  4. I can imagine that lovely scene!

    ReplyDelete