on being tranquil within storms and silences

Go calmly through life. The great spiritual leaders tell us this, and I see that perhaps I belong to the sect of wild fools, because I could not bear to waste this wondrous life in going calmly, detached, placid amongst the flowers and the gorgeous fury ...





I want to dance, and run, and thrown myself into starlit oceans and my own starlit soul, and weep when weeping is not called for, and laugh a long giddy laugh into the night, and welcome the fierce white poetry of rain on water. I want to be as thoroughly as I can inside life.

It feels like a gift and a trial to be here. I don't want to sit nice and quiet through one minute. Every scar adorns me. Every laugh lights me. I want to tumble finally into the otherworld with my hair all messed up and my soul filled with fabulous song.

This doesn't mean that I rave all over the planet, or even the neighbourhood. It may mean I sit in one place for a long, hushed time. Going as far down as possible into being. Feeling every breath like a hurricane.




And when they ask me of heaven, and why I want to involve myself in this illusion, this fallen world, (depending on your religion) when I could be focussing on the sacred promise to come, I will say to them that digging in the soil lifts you closer to the sky ... touching the heart draws you beyond ... and the more I experience this life the more its covers slip away like dead leaves, and I see all the fakery, and I see all the certainties, and I hear the faery song.

If I was calm, I would not traipse through nights listening to a low murmur of taniwha, watching a dance of stars that should not be moving, feeling the invisible beauty all around me, and I would be forced to believe - to have faith, sitting calmly in my well-cleaned living room or in my lotus pose - rather than going knee-deep, heart-deep, experiencing (without any need for naming) amongst the wild magical things that are rooted beyond the edge of the world.



(Some of today's photos were processed with Kim Klassen textures)

17 comments:

  1. I love that you are the way you are, and I love the way you describe the world and how you experience it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feels like a beautiful trance one never wants to get out of. Lovely thoughts and imagination. Peace always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous shots and great advice - but oh so hard to follow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love this post, Sarah.
    Love, Su

    ReplyDelete
  6. In love with your photography!! 💕

    ReplyDelete
  7. possibly one of the most beautiful posts i have had the pleasure of reading.
    so right in so many ways ~ we should all dive head-first deep into the ebbing and flowing waters of life! peace is valuable but i believe peace can be found in the frenzy of fearless involvement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I believe peace is different from calm. Calm is a behaviour, peace is an experience deep within our bodies and souls. Thank you for your comment because yesterday I was trying to sort through my feelings about peace, and reading your words made them come together for me.

      Delete
  8. These photos are so beautiful. I adore them. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. This just took my breath away. You express yourself so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you everyone for your lovely words xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've found a message in these beautiful words (and pictures!) that I needed to hear. There's much in life to relish and revel in and I'm sometimes caught between this and chasing the detached peace I feel I "should". Thanks for the sharing these wise thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know what to say...only that I thoroughly connected with your words. And I agree that leaving this world with ones hair messed up and filled with fabulous song is the only way to go. What is the point I say if you don't make a point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sea is my favorite place to touch both heaven and earth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful. You have the gift of the word. I enjoy reading your lovely thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel what you're writing, and it's so beautiful. Maybe the truly spiritual can be found in the middle of life, in the wildness of it all.

    ReplyDelete