Namaste

There are people in this world who will welcome you warmly, and open their community so that you may join them, and your heart will lift with love for their friendliness.

But that doesn't mean you belong with them.




There are also people who look exactly like your kindred spirits. They speak your language, walk your ways. But they do not truly welcome you. Their community feels like a closed space, although they may invite you in at some level. You are sure you belong with them - but when you are there you feel inferior and may even wonder just who you really are if these kindred spirits do not recognise you.




Home is not in other people. Your own soul is your home. Good community can be found - not necessarily with people who speak the same language as you, or who want you to learn theirs, but with anyone whose spirit sees your spirit and greets it as an equal and wonderful sister. Then your religion, or your dialect, or your social status, or how you decorate your house, is unimportant. The connection runs deeper, below words, through a willingness to accept and honour each other for your own sakes.

But that is only possible if you are honest with yourself. Because how can anyone have community with another person if they are not in communion with their own spirit?

This, I believe, is what should be taught in school alongside reading and mathematics.

(Just a random thought today, in the long mild space before the storm.)


16 comments:

  1. Yes, this is important. What you wrote here made me think of the group that comes to my house everyday Tuesday. We're a community in the truest sense, yet from the outside, it would appear we don't have much in common. We do have the most important thing in common though, a shared belief in Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow…we are on the same page here today…literally. i like your addition regarding having to love yourself and who you are before anyone is going want to be "at home" with you….xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry, I hope very much you dont mind me saying that's not what I meant. I'm actually highly opposed to the idea of "you have to love yourself before anyone else can love you." I'm always very sad when I hear women being told that.

      What I meant is, for example, that you shouldn't make yourself Christian because the Christian women are so nice to you. And you shouldn't believe that you love romance novels best simply because the literary fiction lovers with whom you share the same thoughts won't engage with you. That kind of thing.

      :-)


      Delete
  3. I loved this post--beautiful thoughts.♥

    The other day, I was out walking, feeling conspicuous and uncertain of myself, when a comforting message came into my heart: "You are here, because I made you. And as much as anything else I have made: these trees, this earth and sky, these birds and people, you belong here." In that instant I felt at home in myself, just as I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds just like the Desiderata ... infact I have the very verse sitting here beside me, part of my daily (pagan) "rosary" ...

      I am a child of the universe
      at one with the trees and the stars
      I have a right to be here.

      :-)

      Delete
    2. That is . . . wow; you've given me a holy shiver. : )

      Delete
  4. "how can anyone have community with another person if they are not in communion with their own spirit?"

    yes ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you've written here is so true, Sarah. I love this thought. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. So touchingly beautiful, Sarah. You also mentioned the Desiderata - one of my all time favorites. Your writing touches my soul just as that poem does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, what a very kind thing to say.

      Delete
  7. oh happy home here (you) and here (me) = there (everywhere). yes and thank you for the perfect reminder. what a delight to find you right here!

    ReplyDelete