Wildflowers

My Friday sky is white and grey over the sea, and behind me darkening as if with hill dreams. As usual, the neighbourhood is quiet (although of course the moment I typed that, someone started up with a buzz saw) - but I've been thinking about this suburban quiet, with its sense of loneliness and, always underneath, its rush of distant traffic, compared with the rich, embracing quiet of the countryside where I stayed recently. They are very different.




I came back from my rural holiday soaked in green peace. As I said to a dear friend, I find myself these days less interested in joining with the soul searchers and philosophical unpickers. That is not to say I advocate being ignorant or apathetic, only that I'm unsure hearts and minds are meant to be wrung desperately. Why not simply, and beautifully, be content?

And now, since it's Friday, I'm joining with this lovely community to share some things found during my wandering about blogland this week ...




Rock your baby to sleep. Ignore the harmful advice about letting them cry themselves to sleep. I wonder, are day care babies held against a loving heart and rocked, and sung old family songs, as they drift into sleep? I hope so.

Mother and child reunion. Next time you watch the news and despair, remember that there is also such good being done in the world.

Raising children who are at peace with themselves.

This quote, found via Abby. Along similar lines, this one also from Emilia Clarke : "To be perfectly honest, the most badass thing you can do as a woman is to just accept who you are and be happy with it."

This sampler is lovely for anyone who likes sewing.

This dog's tale was so heartwarming story.

Cabbages and Roses : so pretty.

Art Through Time : a great resource for homeschoolers.

Have a beautiful day.


7 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers and I love your thoughts. I always held my daughter as she went to sleep, so she would know she is loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great images and wonderful tips and links here - I especially love the badass quote!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are so lovely. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel the beauty in your words. Your descriptions of the suburban quiet and the "rich, embracing quiet" of the countryside struck a chord with me. Our winter here in NY which has come to an end now, brought with it so much snow and extreme freezing temps that you very rarely saw anyone venturing outdoors. The quiet was glorious - a great time to just be
    Have a beautiful weekend, Sarah..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!
    I hope you'll grace my by sharing at this week's Wordless Wednesday (on Tuesday) here:
    http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/04/cat-on-ladder.html

    ReplyDelete