The Days Are Silver and Gold

This morning the world was very quiet. I stood in my back yard and listened to the bell-like hymn of the tui bird, and to the cool hush that is the strange, beautiful, non-sound of peace. And honestly, in that one perfect moment, I did not feel that the earth was alive, my mother. Instead, I felt that I, and the tui, and the trees in my neighbour's garden, were together inside a gifted experience.





I think one way we can all help to fight the evil being done in the world ... the hatred that is terrorising our communities, the greed that is destroying our environment ... is to share with each other what we experience of life and love. I am grateful for the people who write books, offering not only thoughts but their dreaming. I am grateful for the poets, artists, bloggers, archaeologists. Each word they share, like each note the tui shares, enriches my experience of living in this place, and helps me draw closer to understanding what it really is here, and who I really might be, and what I can do to help other people get the best experience they can too. Reading, listening, and writing myself, make me less selfish.


(For images shared from around the world, visit Our World)


12 comments:

  1. Really beautiful! I do love the quietness of the mornings.

    "I think one way we can all help to fight the evil being done in the world ... the hatred that is terrorising our communities, the greed that is destroying our environment ... is to share with each other what we experience of life and love." Thank you for sharing this. I've been feeling a deep sense of sadness and overwhelm about the senseless killings, suffering and issues around the state of the environment over the last week. Am holding off writing about it as I work out ways to process these feelings and how I can be part of the solution. You've added some something to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think this, exactly, is why art exists. I hope you'll always keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photographs; they are art, really. xoox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you everyone for your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful post and gorgeous photography of nature's splendor!

    Happy Week to you,
    artmusedog and carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magnificent images and lovely writing.

    ReplyDelete