Suddenly, Winter

The swift grey sky is littered with crying birds. The trees sing of wind that has grown dark and heavy, coming in over farmlands. I have thrown away my broken umbrella and am sitting in uncertain shelter, writing story titles in an old notebook. Sometimes I do this - just story titles, nothing more. They clutter, clutter, in my heart.




Autumn has turned abruptly cold. One moment too hot for comfort, the next requiring quilts, luscious, warm, and beloved, drawn from the hot water cupboard. Walking home in the rain, I get bananas - in the summer habit of fruit. But they will end up in a cake, I just know it. There's nothing nicer than a house warmed by the fragrant heat of an oven with a cake rising inside it.



11 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo. Enjoy your cooler days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been very much the case here too - hot, (muslin weather), and then the abrupt need for quilts and woollens, and hot-water bottles. My bananas would similarly end up in a cake, but they are going to the chooks because I simply don't have time at the moment (not that time is available for many of us, but...moving house!)

    And I agree - the housed warmed by a fragrant oven is sublime. Banana cake, pumpkin and allspice cake...love this time of the year. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sigh... this is so lovely.

    Here, it is suddenly spring, or rather, finally spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have described gray, heavy and so cold so beautifully. A cold day and a warm quilt are a lovely pair. Enjoy the dark cold and let the stories tell themselves. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. You create such a beautiful picture in my mind with your words. A summer person, myself, you make winter sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You paint with words! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your writing is so beautiful, what a gift you have. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for such lovely kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And, overnight it has become spring here. Just last week I was shivering in my winter coat,and today I planted broccoli, peas, spinach, and Swiss chard in warm sunshine. I do love the turning of the seasons. "There's nothing nicer than a house warmed by the fragrant heat of an oven with a cake rising inside it." Ah, yes! I'm so happy that autumn and cooler days have come to you at last. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love living here in NY where we get to experience the seasons to the fullest. We're heading into Spring now with all the beauty is brings - fresh herbs and produce, and gorgeous, fragrant flowers.
    Banana bread sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing your beautiful writing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. a book of titles
    makes me smile
    i am guessing they become a muse at the right time
    i can almost.... smell the cake

    ReplyDelete