Sparrow Moon

Walking home from the village this morning, I enjoyed the new signs of deepening autumn. The soaked brown leaves beneath my boots, twinkle lights being wrapped around trees, a crescent moon of rainwater in one round dimple on the footpath, blue sky behind me but ahead rain coming, the old question (so long since asked) - would I make it home without getting wet?, the coolness of the breeze. This is cardigan weather, and I couldn't be more happy.




Now is the time for making home snug and especially lovely. Of course, most of you are coming out of that season now. But for me, several projects are waiting. For example, I plan to extend my pillowcase collection by unpicking the seams of the white ones, cutting them into squares, and sewing them together again with patches of chintz fabric.

It is also the time for using candles more often at night. I don't really like posh candleholders, I prefer using antique saucers, which I buy for pennies at the thrift stores, or shells which I gather from the beach.




Last autumn, I wrote Driftways, which served as medicine for my over-summered heart. I wonder what the cold, damp winds will bring me this year. They have been rattling at my door (literally), promising all kinds of wonder and mystery.


Today's pictures edited using Kim Klassen's quiet texture. The post title is from my personal categorising of the seasonal moons. Sharing with Roses of Inspiration.



18 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I love the votive in the shell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Actually it was a rather tall candle which burned right down. I buy them from church stores as they sell lovely beeswax candles for a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been dodging the rain all day today and the cat keeps looking at me as if asking what on earth is going on with the weather!

    I too am looking forward to the cooler months. I have vintage linen sheets in my cuboard that I will be turning into curtains and pillow covers, as well as some other winter-style projects.

    (I like the way you name the moon)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shot and i love the idea of using a shell for a candle holder! Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such sweetness. I love autumn, my favorite season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty!! Love the soft colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The flowers are so very sweet. I like to bring nature inside too... bowls of shells and rocks. What a wonderful idea to put a candle in the shell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These photos are so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your idea of making new pillowcases from old ones--what a satisfying sewing project! I also love your soft photos, which reveal a different kind of autumn than the ones I am used to. I am looking forward to the weeks ahead and all that you share as autumn deepens. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. These photos are really lovely. I wish you all the best today, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So nice to have another visit from you! Your autumn mood is soft and lovely and nice to read about. (Glad for spring here!) Sparrow moon is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It has turned a tad cold here even though it is still officially autumn. But i enjoy this season as well.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cardigan weather is my favorite....I've never thought to call it that. It gets even better when a scarf is added.

    I'll wait patiently for your "all kinds of wonder and mystery." I'm sure they will be worth the wait. xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photos. I think I would love your home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The little daisies are just perfect in the pretty little china container.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The two daisies are wonderful. Thank you for the idea of using shells for candle holders. Now I know what to do with some of the shells collected when a child, I have a box of them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simply beautiful, my dear. I love seeing your pretty images...the soft colors are so refreshing. Hugs to you! And thanks for sharing with Roses of Inspiration.

    ReplyDelete