wild and gentle

One thing I want to say is that trying to be gentle-hearted, and loving peaceful things, doesn't mean being passionless. Doesn't mean not being wild inside.

You can crochet doilies and cry over this song because it's just so deeply beautiful it sounds like the cry of an old star across the dark. You can wear lace over your tattooes. You can put on Doc Martins and sit quietly, drinking tea, watching a Jane Austen movie while sandalwood incence fills your room and your feral, maskless imagination - you don't have to stomp, or dance, or run, in order to be something vast and magical inside.

You can utterly devote yourself to a wind-hearted, storm-singing god and still want to say prayers at the dinner table. And when the hurricane comes, you can take the jewelled clips out of your hair, and kiss your husband, and see your children tucked safe in bed with stars of light spinning across the walls, and then go out quietly, so gently, to watch the sky reveal its fierce, tameless, awe-inspiring, soul. It's kindred soul.

Spirit is a naked thing. Peace has no style at all.




(I can not crochet doilies, I do not wear jewelled clips, this is a generalised post - but oh my giddy aunt, I do love Matthew Perryman's music.)



8 comments:

  1. this is beautiful: Spirit is a naked thing. Peace has no style at all.

    thank you for the song ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! We are animals. Almost everything we do has a kind of wildness about it. Wonderful post, thank you. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must politely disagree. I hope you don't mind. I don't believe we are animals. But it's hard to explain what I mean. Equal to animals, yes - but animals themselves shouldn't be categorised together either. We are all of us life, in different forms.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful post---it calls to my inner wild child :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a beautiful soul, Sarah. Your writing always gives me a sense of calm, a peacefulness that stays with me like a meditation. I feel called to read each post several times. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This was so nice to read this morning in particular. And it reminds me of why it is so important to say kind things to people - because you never know what else has been said to them, or how they are feeling, and your words can be like medicine (or poison) to them. So again, my thnaks.

      Delete
  5. Elizabeth Waggoner USAMarch 31, 2015 at 1:23 AM

    Well put. I think so many people (women, particularly) become confused about who they are and who they think they are supposed to be based on outward trappings, likes and dislikes. I've never heard it phrased quite like this. Beautiful, Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely post. Just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete