welcoming the wild

A storm is coming. I love this waiting hour, when the sky darkens and the trees begin their pagan dance. I love feeling the breathlessness at the heart of the world - not in fear, but in expectation of something ferocious and wonderful to come. Even when I was younger, before I joined with people who go out when everyone else is hurrying in - back in the days when I thought the best place to be during a hurricane was on the couch, under a quilt, drinking tea and reading - I still loved being outside as the storm drew nearer, so I could feel the joy rising within nature. The sense that the earth welcomed the tempest.




People say that one of the things which makes humans special is that we pray. I say, go out as the wind is gathering and the distant seaward horizon is turning black with rain; feel the energy in your garden, in the trees along the street. You will find its equal only in church or a worship group. You will hear the most beautiful hallelujah.



Lord of the winds! I feel thee nigh,
I know thy breath in the burning sky!
And I wait, with a thrill in every vein,
For the coming of the hurricane!






4 comments:

  1. I should add, people have every reason to respect and fear storms - especially hurricanes. My heart goes out to the people killed, and those whose homes were destroyed, in Cyclone Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when the black rolls in and swirls around and every thing becomes the brightest green I have ever seen. It does have a beautiful energy. it's a beautiful world, sometimes the most at the darkest hour.

    This is gorgeous writing Sarah. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth Waggoner USAMarch 17, 2015 at 4:11 AM

    I love storms. I love the color and the power and the energy you describe. (well - maybe not tornados). You are so right about the energy that radiates from every living thing in nature when the whole atmosphere is charged. Beautiful, exhilarating, terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I know exactly what you mean. There is just a special energy about it.

    ReplyDelete