vegan ice cream with just two ingredients

My daughter made this simple ice cream and it was surprisingly delicious. It's dairy free, gluten free, and vegan.

Ingredients

One banana
Some Almond & Coconut milk

Blend together and put in the freezer for about an hour.

Sorry I'm not very specific about the quantity of milk - she simply said "some". To be safe, put a little bit in at a time. The milk used was a blend available in the supermarket. If you don't want to go with that, then try simple coconut milk from a tin.

I must confess, she did add a little sugar, because the recipe originally called for vanilla essence, which we refuse to eat. In the future we may try instead some grated dairy-free chocolate, or maybe blueberries. There are so many things you could add to create variety.

I don't have a photograph as we'd half-eaten the bowlful before I could even think to get one!




7 comments:

  1. Nice! In my efforts to eat healthier and kinder to the Earth, I'm leaning more and more towards a vegan diet. It's been fun and interesting experimenting with these sorts of recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I must try this! It sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! My girls love the simple smoothies we make, and they also taste like ice cream -- usually just frozen bananas, rice milk, peanut butter and a bit of chocolate syrup. Betsy is lactose intolerant and this week I'll be trying (for the first time, wish me luck) a no-cheese "mac and cheese" recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karen, will you be using cashew cream? I'd love to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sarah, I'm curious why you refuse to eat vanilla essence?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is made with lignin, which is derived from wood. Although it's no doubt safe to eat, I have too many issues with it to continue using vanilla essence (imitation vanilla - real vanilla is different of course).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lignin

    ReplyDelete