the simplicity beneath the world

Walking sleepily into the kitchen, I lowered my eyes instinctively against the red-gold vibrancy of sunrise - except it wasn't there. Instead, I found myself gazing with wonder at a blue and cream sky that looked as cold as a winter ocean, and as calm as gentleness against unclothed skin.




Signs of autumn. A chill in the sea breeze when I opened the door the night before. A conversation - we should have dinner on the beach more often, before it gets too dark too soon. A watercolour sky, first thing in the morning. The newspaper said four days ago it was autumn, and I didn't believe them. There was still too much heat to garden or clean windows or sleep. But now I begin to see it. The world is slowly, sighingly, becoming subdued.

And where my garden has been struggling, dying, for months - a new white and gold flower, blooming mere days after I stuck its bulb in the ground to dream of next spring.

Everything in my spiritual practice tells me to mark the signs of autumn awakening, make a story of it, sing the changes in. But when I looked at the sky this morning, and started thinking along the lines of miracles (as you would too after the summer we've had) a quiet voice in my heart reminded me that it's just the way the world is turning.

That's all it is. The spin and shift of the planet.

Thing is, I believe (like a crazy woman) that this simple tumble in light and darkness is one big miracle, and all the little complexities - the reddening tomatoes, the poetry of snowflakes - are expressions of it. The world, she turns, she sings and blooms, in the gentle wind-shaped hand of her lover. It's simple. It's love. It's everything.


7 comments:

  1. It is a miracle, (I too am like a crazy woman). I'm welcoming Autumn here - feeling the shift. It's been sudden in my part of the world. Everything, including myself, sighing in relief.

    Such a beautiful image. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this, the image and the words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully written. I believe these are miracles too. In my world the season is turning as well. Last week I really craved the change. Then Saturday I noticed the chill in the morning air and for the first time in months we slept with a blanket, not a sheet. Since Sunday, I've been writing of these changes in my journal. I love the inner stirrings that the shifting seasons inspire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, each of you, for your lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Liz in Missouri USAMarch 5, 2015 at 3:30 AM

    Lovely! The changes and movements of the universe truly are gifts. I absolutely believe in the importance of giving them our attention, our prayers and our pieces of time.

    ReplyDelete