in A Peaceful Garden

The internet has been very provoking today. (Not in my blog-reading, but elsewhere.) However, I am determined to promote what I love rather than engaging with what I hate. And so today I am going to simply show you snapshots of my beloved garden. Please excuse the very poor picture quality, I don't have a particularly good camera; also, its battery was running low.

At this point of summer (technically autumn, but the heat remains the same) all of these flowers are doing miraculously well considering the strain it must be for them.

I put a couple of bulbs in the dirt with a faint dream of distant springtime. In less than a week, they were flowering.





I found this flower this morning. I'd been wondering what its leafy, robust plant was going to produce. This was a delightful surprise.




This much-loved bush is hanging on valiantly, but is far from its original glory.




These are my favourites.





Last surviving violets. The garden was previously a carpet of multi-coloured violets, pansies, hearts-ease, so I've been really treasuring those that have made it through the drought.





Even the alyssum has struggled. I no longer harvest it for placing in tiny vases in my bedroom, as I want to give it the best chance for regaining its strength.




New growth ...




There is more, but my camera's battery ran out completely. I never imagined gardening would bring such happiness. Maybe everyone should be encouraged to care for a bit of earth, maybe that would change hearts and change the world.

On a related note, I am reading Meadowland by John Lewis-Stempel and highly recommend it. Also, Antoinette has begun a new series on herbs and it's beautiful reading.


10 comments:

  1. Yes! Beautiful! Thank you thank you thank you, sarah! Let us all spread love through gardening!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is beautiful. I'd rather look at flowers than engage in internet provocations. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous blossoms! I love the pink ones so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gardening does bring happiness doesn't it? I find it so therapeutic. In fact, there is now evidence showing that when our skin comes into contact with soil, we release serotonin, and the effects of one gardening session can last for weeks.

    I think those photos are lovely. I adore stock, pansies and hearts-ease - real cottage garden treasures.

    Also, thank you for the mention : )

    And I'm heading off now to Goodreads to check out Meadowlands. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Violets and Allysum don't last into the summers here. They fade quickly in our heat and humidity. The pleasures of gardening are deep in my bones and heart. I was never even taught by any mentors about gardening. I just picked it up and later went to school for my horticulture degree. I remember going outside when I was a teenager and clearing the weeds from a bed of Dusty Miller my Mom had planted. I was not asked to do it. I just felt compelled. The feeling afterwards was so clear, and light, like I was floating and the world made sense. Yes, everyone should tend at least a tiny garden space. We should all do something small each day to make the world a more beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful series of images!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sigh... this is balm for my winter-tired soul. Gardening, and writing, are the two things that teach me, repair me, save me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your robust white daisy is
    Dimorphotheca jucunda from South Africa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. SInce the writing of this post, it has become a lush and enormous bush with dozens of blooms, despite the frosts and storms of winter. :-)

      Delete