the peace and the storm

"Geography is messy. You may go walking out across a meadow, but along the way you encounter little hills, and ditches, and pools, and weed forests, until you must surely relinquish the simplicity of the idea meadow, and acknowledge something far more wild and indefinable. It is the same for the landscape of self." - from Driftways.


I've always had difficulty with the idea of being one's authentic self, or finding one's tribe. On a Monday I might lay lace upon my table and sit down to drink tea from porcelain cups while reading poetry ... then the next day, I'll put on my boots and go digging up ghosts in dark forests. Aren't we all complex in this way? Aren't we worlds within and souls that blossom beyond any imagined boundaries?





With that in mind, today I recommend the gentleness of lyrical fairy tale ... the Kin Fables trilogy of short films is now complete. It's deeply and hauntingly beautiful and it will surely make you think about your own life.

And I recommend too the grit ... the Hunger Games soundtrack is a wonderful collection of music which always puts me into an Appalachian spirit (humming a love song to myself.)

This is what happens when you live at the edge of the world : one foot in water, one hand on mountains.

When you live in the last days of summer : a too bright sky darkening suddenly with thunderstorms that dissipate as suddenly as they came.

When you are human : a soul, a bundle of bones held together by dreams.



On my nightstand
Heloise and Abelard by James Burge,
Wild Hares and Hummingbirds by Stephen Moss,
Beechcomings by Richard Mabey,
Meadowland by John Lewis-Stempel.



(Thank you to those who answered my question about an upcoming fundraising project. Your responses have opened my heart to what I feel I may be able to offer. I'm only sorry I won't be able to please everyone.)

(Joining with Kim Klassen for Friday Finds)


4 comments:

  1. Yes, we're all complex like that, and that's what makes people so interesting. You are one of the more interesting people that I l know, though of I course I only know a small part. I mean that as a compliment.
    I need a good fiction book to read right now. I'll look through your links.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shots - oh, the stories they could tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos, sarah.

    I concur, we are all quite complex like that.

    I think being authentic simply means not denying parts of ourselves for fear of what others may think. (For example, pretending I hate digging in the mud so the clean nails people will accept me.). My tribe, should they be clean nails people, would accept my dirty nails and all.

    So, I think it is unrelated to one's tribe. To me, one's tribe are those who may feel differently from ourselves but know that there are pools, valleys, hills, and ditches within the seemingly flat and plain meadow (to borrow your example). The meadow itself (or the forest, the sea, *insert other geography here*) is always a wildly elaborate place.

    I think. *ponders some more peering out onto the 5' of snow in my front property*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning... your photos, and your words... my first time here, but I will definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete