between the light and the darkness

I went for a walk at the cusp of the evening, drawn out by a sudden need for trees, dirt, breezes. The sky was heavy and bruised with unshed rain. The small moon, high above the great, doomed star pine, was soft-edged and lonely. I walked far enough to find some trees and stand a little while beneath them, listening to the rustle of their dry-voiced leaves. Peace hung there in the simple, shadowy space beneath them - such peace for a complicated person within the presence of tranquil, practical spirits.

“I couldn't live where there were no trees--something vital in me would starve.” 
L.M. Montgomery, Anne's House Of Dreams 




Ultimately, it was people who broke my peace - loud people nearby, just living their lives, having a good time, but leaving no quiet for anyone else thereabouts. So I went home. And the sky had blurred away to a deeper, sadder grey, apart from one hearthfire in the west - my beloved faraway west. And the moon had blurred away to what seemed like light's merest dream.


Some treasure trawled from the virtual sea ...

I didn't know whether to weep at the unkindness of some people when I read this story about a little boy's birthday party, or sing with joy at the kindness of others.

The likely cause of addiction.

I don't believe in time, but I loved reading how different cultures experience the apparent phenomenon.

Beautiful wearable art at Woodland Jewelries.

I completely agree with this perspective on high school maths. And these further thoughts on unschooling maths.

This is the most beautiful example of parenting, I can't stop thinking about it.


(Today's photograph is processed with a Kim Klassen texture. Also linking with Skywatch.)



19 comments:

  1. I couldn't live without trees either. I feel so blessed to be surrounded by them now, I couldn't imagine not living among them again.

    Thank you for the introduction to To Love...Amy's blog is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - that shot is beautiful! Nature is where I get my energy from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, that means a lot coming from you.

      Delete
  3. Aw thank you for including me Sarah. You are such an inspiration to me, it's truly an honor. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this photo - it's so mysterious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing sky !
    Thanks for the links ... I find the story of the little boy so touching ... !
    Have a nice week,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful image - love the story about the little boy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thank you everyone for your lovely comments :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Trees have been some of my finest friends. I'm so sorry about the loss of your Star PIne friend.♥ We lost one of our beloved trees last summer on a windy day. It just fell down. We sorely miss it.

    Thank you for the interesting list of links! The post on "To Love" and the article "The Likely Cause of Addiction" personally resonated with me. It strikes me that both gentle parents and those who love someone battling addiction have something deeply in common: they have chosen Love (Life) in a world that has chosen fear (death), and it can be a lonely path--one without support. They are constantly told to punish the child, to leave the addict. If they don't, they are often blamed, shamed, and shunned by family and friends. Ironically, they are called weak, when actually it takes great courage and strength to love in a world that is ruled by fear, punishment and death.

    Learning, growth, and recovery all happen by starts and stumbles--just like everything else in life. But love is patient, kind, and committed. It doesn't walk away from the beloved. And it never fails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this thoughtful comment, and for all the thoughtful comments you leave. I don't even really need to see your name to know it's you who writes them, you always put such heart, such care, into your words.

      I have hope for future generations who are being taught by brave parents now that love, kindness, gentleness, and attachment are wonderful and not to be mocked.

      Delete
    2. I would say though that love can fail. It can stumble, get confused, get frightened. Even committed love can lose patience, lose heart, and absolutely lose its way. But it never dies or changes into something other than love. With forgiveness and more love, always more love, for that is the best cure, it can get up and go on the right way again.

      Delete
    3. Thank you for appreciating my comments. ♥

      In those times when are confused and frightened and stumble--when our faith in the power of love slips--we fail to love. But, Love never fails. I believe that God is love. There is a story in the Bible (you may know it) about Jesus walking across the water to meet his friends in a boat. The water was rough and the wind was up; when his friends saw him they thought he was a ghost and were afraid. He called out to them and said, "Take courage, it is I!" One of the friends said, "If it is really you, tell me to come to you on the water." So Jesus said, "Come". The man got out of the boat and began to walk on the water. However, when he felt the wind and saw the waves, he became afraid and began to sink. He saw his circumstances and lost faith in the power of Love to sustain him. In fear, he cried out for Love to save him, and Love caught him up and brought him safely to the boat. It wasn't Love that failed in that moment, but the man's belief in it.

      Delete
    4. yes of course you are absolutely right!!

      Delete
  9. A wonderful combination of color and composition.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Truly a beautiful poem and beautiful image.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful . . . wonderful composition of color and mystery. The thing I need is the ocean . . . its look . . . its sounds . . . its colors . . . its all. If there are trees around that that's OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the people around me are the same as you :-) I am all earth spirit though, and I do not love the sea. I miss my mountains!

      Delete