between the dark and the gentle dreaming light

The night was clogged with heat. I felt grit-skinned and heavy. But as I went into the kitchen to wash dishes, the quiet darkness of the room eased me. I could see stars, wind, the barest paring of a moon, through the window.

Strange how stars above a sea seem wilder than overland stars, as if they sing an older song of lost bones and gold and dreams - things that will never again be seen.

I could not bear to turn on the light, the ordinary. And so I found a small beeswax candle sitting in the coracle of a cream-coloured shell, and I set it beside my kitchen sink. And I washed the dishes by candlelight while the stars sang the hauntings of the waters to me.


The new header picture was drawn by my daughter as part of a special project we are slowly working on together. But I could not let it go on sitting between tissue papers on my desk; I am too preciptious, and too much in love with the picture.




13 comments:

  1. 'Strange how stars above a sea seem wilder than overland stars'...I love that thought. What a precious experience that must be. It makes me miss the enchanting country feeling of nights spendt at my grandmother's. Beautiful drawing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely words. Lovely drawing.

    "while the stars sang the hauntings of the waters to me"... wonderfully vivid imagery. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a beautiful drawing. As the words are too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this so much, I have to bookmark it. And the artwork is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and your daughter make a beautiful team. Your words and her drawing, magic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love what she drew, and it seems so fitting. xoox

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you all for such kind words, they mean so much :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Liz in Missouri USAJanuary 26, 2015 at 2:05 AM

    Lovely poetic gentle images. This makes my heart feel calm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so lovely
    words
    and beautiful art
    i so enjoy looking at it

    ReplyDelete
  11. the drawing makes me think of mermaids somehow, it's a beautiful drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, it's by a mermaid girl, so I guess that makes sense :-)

      Delete