K N I T T I N G...T H E...W I N D : .....w r i t i n g.. f r o m.. t h e.. e d g e.. o f ..t h e ..w o r l d
..

April 27, 2014

the rhythms of life and stories

I have done a lot of walking these past few days, but very little wandering. Which is fine, for life is often tidal, and that seems right to me. Everything breathes in, breathes out, people and trees and days and the sea. Perhaps the earth with all her flowers - her people and trees and seas - is so love with the moon, she sways aways to its silent singing.





One of the reasons I love the idea of Waldorf education is that it understands this natural rhythm. But I have never quite managed to follow the pattern suggested. It requires too much thinking and organising! I prefer responding to the natural inclinations of my own spirit, and I find then that my days fall into a pattern which is healthy for me.




I suspect everyone has a different rate of breathing which suits them best. Some people can go and go for days without tiring; other people need a steadier pattern of activity and rest. I wonder if one of the keys to having a good life is figuring out what your natural rhythm is, and working within that. The most contented people I know are those who have slowed down ... or found a way to maintain a busy busy lifestyle ... whatever is truly right for them.




My writing goes by rhythms also, and I've never had much luck forcing that into a more professional routine. But then, I have always believed something which became popular recently when Elizabeth Gilbert said it - poetry or story isn't something within me, it is something I am given. The poem is alive, and it communicates with me. And like every living thing, it goes by its own rhythm. I am no jailor; I invite it in, then wait for it to come when it is ready.

Imagine if we all honoured the rhythms and soul-pulses of our selves and each other. I think then there would be enough excitement, and enough peace, for everyone.

2 comments:

  1. Yes to all of this; I think you are quite right.

    Beautiful photos! That one of the wave is . . . well, I don't even have words for all it calls up in me. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I end up taking a lot of photos of the water although it is not my favourite subject. Sometimes though the light is just so gorgeous. Sometimes during sunsets on the beach I'll end up taking literally scores of photos of the same incoming tide :)

    ReplyDelete

A friend is someone who knows the song of your heart and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words. - Donna Roberts..